mk double switch to socket

You could run Line, Neutral and Earth from FCU to socket and just one cable from socket to switch like a normal light switch is wired.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.
It should have said spurred from.
The socket will be at other side of room that's going to be powered from switch.

Cable getting run under floor, it will he within the regulations for the run.

Hang on! Have I missed something?

• Existing switch on a LIGHTING circuit
  • New switch on a fused SOCKET circuit?
  • On the SAME switch plate?
Is it acceptable to do this?

Sponsored Links
  • Its a double switch
Understood, but I would be concerned for safety having effectively a socket circuit and lighting circuit on the same plate. I am sure the professional sparks will advise!

Could you not run the switched socket from the lighting circuit? I presume this is for a table lamp?

Its for kitchen cabinet lights.
Can't run from switch as the switch doesn't have a earth or neutral, and they can't be picked up from another circuit.

That's why it comes from fused 5a fcu

Only for future changes, perhaps? Checking for live supply (or lack of) before doing any work is the first thing you should do but what if someone just thinks " drop the breakers on all the lighting circuits, that'll be OK now" They then get a surprise from the live on the other switch.

As an example, the extractor hood in my kitchen was fed by plug and socket above the wall cabinets. It was looking a bit greasy and I thought I'd change to a new one when I was decorating. Drop the kitchen circuit, double check the socket. Still live! The socket was fed from the upstairs ring. Not something I was expecting but it had been wired that way for some unknown reason

Only for future changes, perhaps?
Future changes can be done in the future.
Do you plan everything just in case you want something else one day?

Checking for live supply (or lack of) before doing any work is the first thing you should do
Therefore...?

but what if someone just thinks " drop the breakers on all the lighting circuits, that'll be OK now" They then get a surprise from the live on the other switch.
Whose fault would that be?

As an example, the extractor hood in my kitchen was fed by plug and socket above the wall cabinets. It was looking a bit greasy and I thought I'd change to a new one when I was decorating. Drop the kitchen circuit, double check the socket. Still live!
So - no problem then.

The socket was fed from the upstairs ring. Not something I was expecting but it had been wired that way for some unknown reason
Likely the hood is nearer the upstairs circuit.

Future changes can be done in the future.
Do you plan everything just in case you want something else one day?

Not so much in terms of wanting something else one day, although I do think "what if" - it can make life easier if I do change my mind. What if the switch needs changing? Straightforward change with little forward planning required

Whose fault would that be?

Quite, but just unusual in this case

So - no problem then.

No, not a problem - just an example to point out that things are not always what you might expect.

Likely the hood is nearer the upstairs circuit.

Just as close to the kitchen ring as it happens as it is a modern house and all ground floor sockets are fed from above. There was a socket below and to the left so no reason to use the other ring. Again, just an example to point out that the initial assumption is wrong. It sent me off to find out where the feed came from and now I know. Never a problem.

Deryck. Take a look at the 2 gang switch at the bottom of the stairs in many houses.
It controls the hall light and also the landing light in association with another switch upstairs on the landing.

So, the switch in question is located downstairs. Do you think that you would isolate that switch by turning off the downstairs lighting circuit breaker??

The socketis out the way and concealed.

I was thinking if the lights thro time die and need replace . Would led rope light work ?, around 3 meters.

Can't find details on what amperage it would use .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back