Switch problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing all of the switches in my living room. Can anyone help with a couple of problems:-

1. If the terminals on the new socket are marked COM, 1 Way and 2 Way, do you wire the live to the com terminal, and the neutral to the 1 way terminal?

2. I have a switch that has two switches on it as it used to feed a spotlight in the ceiling. As the spotlight has been removed I want to replace the switch with a single switch. It is wired as follows:

Live to A2 with a connection from this terminal to B
Blue wire to A
Yellow wire to B2.

How would I connect it to a single dimmer switch.

3. Can any light be connected to a dimmer switch.

I have a double switch which I want to connect to a dimmer switch which is marked

Live, Switch and earth and there are 2 seperate sets of terminals so marked.

As I had 2 sets of wires on the original switch I thought that it would be a simple case of wiring each set to the live and switch terminals but when I did each set of lights would not turn off.

Can anyone help a dimbo please.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Paul6756 said:
I'm replacing all of the switches in my living room. Can anyone help with a couple of problems:-

Possibly

Paul6756 said:
1. If the terminals on the new socket are marked COM, 1 Way and 2 Way, do you wire the live to the com terminal, and the neutral to the 1 way terminal?

Be careful, there is not usually a neutral at the switch. If it is a neutral then when you pressed the switch a short circuit would be created and trip the mcb in the cu.

Paul6756 said:
2. I have a switch that has two switches on it as it used to feed a spotlight in the ceiling. As the spotlight has been removed I want to replace the switch with a single switch. It is wired as follows:

Live to A2 with a connection from this terminal to B
Blue wire to A
Yellow wire to B2.

How would I connect it to a single dimmer switch.

Remove the link from A2 to B. Put the yellow in a connector block. (Assuming the yellow went to the spotlight that has been removed. Otherwise Put the blue in a connector block)

Paul6756 said:
3. Can any light be connected to a dimmer switch.

No. The instuctions that came with the switch will tell you.

Paul6756 said:
I have a double switch which I want to connect to a dimmer switch which is marked

Live, Switch and earth and there are 2 seperate sets of terminals so marked.

As I had 2 sets of wires on the original switch I thought that it would be a simple case of wiring each set to the live and switch terminals but when I did each set of lights would not turn off.

You have it wired incorrectly. Which terminals did the original wires enter?

Paul6756 said:
Can anyone help a dimbo please.

Thanks

Not a problem

i would like to add, just becuse its black, doent mean its neutral, at a switch is most likely to be swithed live, which also means at the ceiling rose it will be black.

may i suggest you look in for reference then you will see how it is done. Also get a multi meter, you would expect a mechanic to fix a car with out tools would you?

Re Question 3 and the request for "which terminals the wires entered:

The wiring in the original switch was:

Switch wire to A COM
Live wire to A 1 Way

and

a Switch wire to B Com
Live to B 1 Way.

Thanks for your patience

Sponsored Links
There is your problem!. Live to A com and switch wire to A 1 way. live to B com and switch wire to B com will rectify it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back