MK Grid Dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have stupidly overlooked costing out the switches... now that 2nd fix has come I am getting a shock.

I am using the MK range throughout so wanted to use the mk range on the switches

I have a panel where I have a 6 way switch, where I want everything to be dimmable. I know of the MK grid system so I was going to use that, but now I come to buy it seems that the Dimmer modules are £21 each and the only ones I can find are low voltage ones which I am on 240v normal lighting.

Is this correct? will this 6 way cost me in the region of £130 once I have bought the modules and the grid?

Are there any alternatives in the MK range. I thought of doing two three way dimmers, but they don't seem to do those either.

Thanks for any help. I should have costed this out before now!!!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I think I will go away from the grid and put in two three dimmer switches, the cost of the grid system seems far too high

problem is finding a decent quality 3 dimmer switch

Sponsored Links
Sureitsoff? have you used the Varilight ones you mention? if so what are they like quality wise?

Matt

Hi DQ

No i havent used the varilight ones I just remember seeing them in the TLC catalogue.

Dont discount the ones on e-bay, TLC sell the same for approx £19 each

Both 230V and 240V are low voltage, as are 184V, 650V, 99V 444V etc...

MK used to do two versions of the dimmer modules though - one of them was intended for ELV lighting transformers (they called it the LV version). It worked fine with standard lighting too, but cost more. They now only do a single dimmer suitable for both ELV and LV.

You are not meant to over populate a grid with dimmers - there are strict guides to how many you can place in a grid (due to heat obviously).

220VA ones are single module, but the 400VA ones will take up two modules.

I am going to go with something like this and do two banks of three, won't look quite as good, but seems less complicated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back