MK Masterseal socket making additional cable entry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am thinking to buy one of these sockets to replace a cheap outdoor double socket, that the seal is failing on:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181138992399?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Currently a cable enters from the bottom, but not centrally. I cannot easily move the cable position, or the socket. Is it possible to cut out a new hole for the cable entry? Without buying it I cannot see if there would be space for a 20mm tube.

Also, the cable into the socket currently enters via the rear of the housing. I've read here that this isn't compliant. Is there a fitting that can be used for this?

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Usually those fittings have 20 mm knockouts round the top, bottom, and sides. The knockout can be replaced if you knock the wrong one out.

I think the top has one centre knockout, the bottom has two off centre knockouts. the box can be turned the other way up - so there is no real top and bottom.

I prefer to run the cable into the bottom rather than the back, as this seems more watertight to me.

For ordinary cable, a 20 mm plastic cable gland will provide a seal, though I don't recommend using them for top entry personally.

Currently a cable enters from the bottom, but not centrally. I cannot easily move the cable position, or the socket. Is it possible to cut out a new hole for the cable entry? Without buying it I cannot see if there would be space for a 20mm tube.
I thought that the back part of the box could be turned upside down (so that there would then be two non-central knowckouts at the bottom) - can anyone confirm (I don't have one to hand to look at)?

Kind Regards, John

I thought that the back part of the box could be turned upside down (so that there would then be two non-central knowckouts at the bottom) - can anyone confirm (I don't have one to hand to look at)?

Kind Regards, John

I just did ( :D ).

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, you both have the same thought!

If the back box can be reversed that would resolve that issue!

I am in a situation where I do have a rear-entering cable, is there an acceptable way to deal with this? I could enlarge the hole in the wall with a large drill bit, so there was space to attach a suitable watertight gland.....

I just did ( :D ).
You did, indeed - whilst I was looking to see if I had one to examine (and then typed my reply without first refreshing the page!)

Kind Regards, John

You could do that, but usually a blob of waterproof compound will do the job for back entry. Just press it around the cable and hole. After connecting up, before screwing back the front, make sure the compound is in place nicely.

In the bottom of the box is an area marked "drain"

Make sue you drill that out so any wet ingress is effectively egressed (is that a proper word? it is now!).

In the bottom of the box is an area marked "drain" ... Make sue you drill that out so any wet ingress is effectively egressed (is that a proper word? it is now!).
Having now found an old-style Masterseal socket to examine (and I suspect the same remains true of the new ones), not only can I confirm that they are 'invertable', but they also have those drain hole provisions both at 'top' and 'botton' - so there will still be one at the bottom even if it's inverted.

Interestingly, if ever one wanted a confirmation of 'invertability', it has 'TOP' written at both top and bottom !

(contrast exaggerated to show writing):

Kind Regards, John

Perfect! Thanks everyone for the advice, I have now ordered the socket.

Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back