32A extension trailing socket

Sponsored Links
I have never seen a BS1363 like one as you put it apart from the very occasional moulded lead.
You've never seen something which, at first sight, looks like a BS1363 plug, but which is not actually BS1363-complaint? What about the ones with partially shrouded earth pins, for example? I agree that many of the worst examples of non-compliance are moulded ones, but that doesn't really make any difference.

Kind Regards, John

You appear to be confusing cheerleaders with realists.
Not at all - I am recognising the perspicacity of John Stuart Mill and am as far from confused as it is possible to be in believing that in cases such as this if you're not against it you are for it.

Sponsored Links
Great item this. 5 Socket extension trailing socket.

Maybe useful for electricians who understand its limitations. Dangerous for others.

Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe that blue thing is a fuse holder.
And it does say
"Over-current and overload duel protection design"
The blue thing is a switch. There is no fuse.
You were not being unfair, actually rather generous.

The product is FAR worse than anyone could expect, virtually every part of it is totally defective and dangerous.
Even if used in Malaysia or somewhere on a 10A fused circuit - still dangerous.

The worst parts:
- Plug is unfused
- Earth wire not connected in the plug
- Flex contains tiny wires which are not even solid copper
- All of the claims on the packaging about overload protection, filtering and so on are all lies - none of those features exist.
There are many other problems.

The only good part - the ebay seller despatched it quickly.

http://youtu.be/e0ghsODkqUQ

That cable thickness is shocking.

As are the loose terminals and potential for shorts.

Thanks for the video.

Love the fact that the volt meter is on the end of the circuit. It's a shame you didn't plug in some heaters.

Same in Hong Kong when I was there these are the norm all marked with BS numbers although when I was there is was still British.

I find the very handy and most of mine are shuttered you need to drag shutter sidewards with the plug on the 2 pin outlets.

In this case the seller at least claims to be in the UK. I would suggest a respot to trading standards.

Good video.

As mentioned I hope Trading Standards have been informed. Perhaps send a copy of the video to them.

In the old days there were "Public Information" films shown on TV to educate the public about dangers in everyday life, Perhaps they need to be revived to try and educate people about cheap goods and the dangers they present.

As mentioned I hope Trading Standards have been informed. Perhaps send a copy of the video to them.
Yes, they have been informed, all details and a link to the video has been sent.

The plug is unfused, and the earth wire is not connected at all - it was just placed on the back of the plastic inner plug and the rubber moulded over the top. No attempt was made to connect it to the earth pin at all.
(This is shown in a second video which will be available tomorrow).

I'd be interested to see how warm the flex gets when loaded to the recommended 10A. Flameport do you have access to a thermal imaging camera?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back