32A extension trailing socket

Sponsored Links
I'd be interested to see how warm the flex gets when loaded to the recommended 10A. Flameport do you have access to a thermal imaging camera?
No thermal camera, however I can measure the temperature of the flex with various loads applied, assuming it can actually take 10A without melting. I'll try smaller loads first.
Should be able to do that at the weekend, with some other tests to see if the plastic casing is flammable etc.

Sponsored Links
The reality is even worse than in the video

With the dead short fault in the block of "sockets" the voltage between Live and Neutral in the cable under test was close to zero.

Had there been a 2 kW appliance plugged in then the same 8 amps would have flowed but there would also have been 230 volts across the failing insulation. Insulation breakdown would have occurred leading to even higher current and temperatures high enough to ignite the cable.

thanks for the test John.

I can't believe what that did with 8-10A

You would think some users would be having problems!

Saw this video last night - appreciate the work, John.

So, your granny buys one of these to allow her to place the fan heater closer to the couch. 10A flowing through the flex, which heats to 300 degrees centigrade, setting fire to the carpet it's sitting on and the curtains above it (cos she pushed the flex under the curtains "for safety, to keep it out of the way")?

Absolutely horrifying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back