MK neon glow surrounds for light switches

LondonRay said:
In your standard dwelling any fire serious/developed enough to knock out the lighting circuits is almost certainly going to have created so much smoke/heat that lighting an escape route out of your own house will be the least of your worries. No ?

Having a point of reference that you can see, even a lamp dimly visible through the smoke, may help to re-orientate you as to which way to go in the evacuation.

I've actually seen a report of where faulty wiring on the emergency lighting caused the fire... I think the word is irony

Yes, seen similar, low voltage therefore high current wiring, the best way to create a fire hazard.

That is why a lamp with built in battery that powers up the light on mains failure is my idea of best practise.

Sponsored Links
bernardgreen said:
"Having a point of reference that you can see, even a lamp dimly visible through the smoke, may help to re-orientate you as to which way to go in the evacuation."

Hmmmm ... maybe, I'm still dubious that given the amount of smoke a fire of the size we'd be talking about would have already generated that you wouldn't be better off staying in your bedroom (we're talking night time after all) behind a nice firedoor than crawling on your belly downstairs no matter how well lit. Here's hoping none of us ever need to find out the answer to that question !

I guess the real thing is we should all have detectors and alarms good enough to alert/wake us up so everyone is outside way before any fire gets that big.

The main reason for our em's is so you don't fall down the stairs in a powercut. We tend to have more powercuts than fires in our house.

I could even take a relay from the smoke detectors and link it to the em lights if I could be bothered :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
LondonRay said:
seeking enlightenement ..... "FAP" ?
Guess - fire alarm panel

Yup. :D

When my son was very young we had a power cut in the middle of the night. He woke up screaming, very upset as it was so dark, hence the 8 watt non-maintained bulkhead now discreetly tucked away behind his TV :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back