MK Retractive Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some help !

Just had a garage door installed which operates electrically via a remote control.

There is an option to fit a second hardwired switch inside the garage to control the door.

Could I use an MK Retractive Switch ( K4900 ) to do this ? It seems to be a rocker type of switch which I was hoping could be pressed UP to open the garage door and then DOWN to close the door.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do as you wish as long as it will handle the load, I presume you are switching elv to the controller.

Also depends how many contacts the controller requires to do the job and how many are on the back of the retractive switch, and the ratings of the both.
Without knowing what your controller requires it is impossible to say.

The 4900 is a two way retractive isn't it, as in it can be pressed upwards and downwards?

This wont work with a garage door. Most garage doors either have a pair of terminals for open and a pair for close (if one side was commoned this switch would be ok, but depends in the door). Some doors just have a single pair of terminals which you short to open and then short to close. In this case you just want a one way retractive.

K4885 is the ONE way retractive (push switch).

K4900 is the TWO way retractive (push up and down).

Sponsored Links
Hi

Also forgot to say that the controller has been configured for the Deadman mode so as soon as you release the button the door stops, so no need for the Stop switch.

Plan to wire the switch in on the Key Switch terminals.

The main thing is it requires a centre off position and the info is not very plain on this. I did find This PDF which does show grid switches which are centre off never heard of them before but does seem to fit the bill.

Sorry just re-read MK sheet it says K4899 is two way and off so it would seem that is correct switch. I would assume the K4900 is a two way switch without centre off. I may be wrong?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
fancy bugger with the lectric doors :LOL:

some of us dont even have a garage! :LOL:

Those switchs do revert back to the centre position when they are released, that is why they are called retractive switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back