how to use a 3 position retractive light switch as a dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to install a dimmer switch to control my lighting.

I know you can get rotary dimmers like these: http://goo.gl/kuPhwq, which are the usual way to install this.

Instead, I would like to use a 3 way retractive switch for dimming. I've seen 3 position retractive switch modules from vendors such as Scolmor Minigrid (http://goo.gl/8kAblD). Is it possible to use these as dimmers, such that pressing and holding "up" and "down" make the lights brighter and dimmer? If so, how would I achieve this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes you can buy a master dimmer which has a slave op which requires a 'reactive push' I have GET dimmers(now Schneider) , they are great and not too expensive.

Regards,

DS

Thanks @deadshort. I'm a newbie to this, so forgive me - what's a master dimmer and what is a slave op? Do you have any examples you could provide?

Hi, Google Schneider electronic dimmer. The reactive push part number is GUGEMWWPN .

You require 1x Master dimmer and from the slave O/P connection you connect as many reactive push which controls the master unit from a second location or more.

DS

Sponsored Links
Hi, that is the master dimmer which has up and down push buttons and the ability to recall a pre-set level. Yes, that can be connected to a reactive push to give an additional control of the master dimmer, i.e. hallways, bedrooms.

Regards,

DS

A rotary knob is by far and away the quickest and most precise way to set the dimming level you want. Presets might be useful, but generally, from an ergonomic POV, holding a switch down, or touching a button, and waiting while the light gets brighter or dimmer is slower and risks overshooting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back