MK Sentry CU timers

• Thread starter ColinJacobson
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ColinJacobson

The MK Sentry timers used on the CU DIN rail. Not the time delay type. Do these need a normal mcb as well? If a timer is used on lighting will the normal 6A mcb need to be used in series with the timer? Or are the timers amp rated?

Has anyone used these MK CU timers?

Thanks.

Similar to these.....
MK5707.JPG

MK5732.JPG

Sponsored Links
Please keep to the topic and not clutter and degrade the forum. There are other web sites to act the goat.

Sponsored Links
Am I going to be the only one to point this out here? This should be straight forward work? I had an apprentice on site last week who could wire one of these to a contractor from a TPN board.

Control feed would just be a supply to the timer, this would need to be protected against short circuit, over current protection earth faults, I generally use a spur here from a final with a 3A FCU.

You now have a second feed from a 10A type B or C to one of the timers relay contacts and then from the switched contact to the lights. Again this would need to be protected against short circuit, over current protection earth faults, and this would be the feed to the lights.

Do you think that you do not need two feeds and two methods of protection? You can if you design it correctly used a larger feed to a contractor enclosure and a din rail fuse holder for the control feed.

I have been vague and left out some technical details as reading your other posts this stuff should be bread and butter work. And I read you do not have BS7671 I do not see why I should quote reg numbers as you cannot look them up.

Draw the circuit out on paper and please think about it.

Am I going to be the only one to point this out here? This should be straight forward work? I had an apprentice on site last week who could wire one of these to a contractor from a TPN board.

Control feed would just be a supply to the timer, this would need to be protected against short circuit, over current protection earth faults, I generally use a spur here from a final with a 3A FCU.

You now have a second feed from a 10A type B or C to one of the timers relay contacts and then from the switched contact to the lights. Again this would need to be protected against short circuit, over current protection earth faults, and this would be the feed to the lights.

Do you think that you do not need two feeds and two methods of protection? You can if you design it correctly used a larger feed to a contractor enclosure and a din rail fuse holder for the control feed.

I have been vague and left out some technical details as reading your other posts this stuff should be bread and butter work. And I read you do not have BS7671 I do not see why I should quote reg numbers as you cannot look them up.

Draw the circuit out on paper and please think about it.

I agree with everything you've said, but the fact is MK time switches do not require any form of protection. The maximum current they switch is 16A and the 16A circuit protection is the only protection for the timer. They are using the timer wiring as a fuse, to add a fuse to protect the timer is pointless. I've seen the same arrangement on solenoids.

In case you did'nt know, the op is on a windup, every answer he gets is followed by more daft questions.

I came across this definition - seems apt

"A Troll is a person who posts messages to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in causing discord on the forums. They inspire flaming rhetoric and they purposely provoke and pull people into a flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war."

I agree with everything you've said, but the fact is MK time switches do not require any form of protection. The maximum current they switch is 16A and the 16A circuit protection is the only protection for the timer. They are using the timer wiring as a fuse, to add a fuse to protect the timer is pointless. I've seen the same arrangement on solenoids.

In case you did'nt know, the op is on a windup, every answer he gets is followed by more daft questions.

Ah thanks did not know this with the MK kit, we do not tend to use it and we use Hager mostly these days on site. I all ways considered it good practice to wire them like I do, usally with a contactor on the output. This way if the timer is ever changed the wiring can stay the same.

I did kind of get that as I noticed some posts from the OP that if he was working as a spark in what ever field he should still understand the basics of electrical circuits.

I had an apprentice on site last week who could wire one of these to a contractor from a TPN board.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can if you design it correctly used a larger feed to a contractor enclosure...
Blimey, that's a bit harsh, mate! Not only do you wire up your work colleagues, it appears you imprison them as well!

Good show! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The MK Sentry timers used on the CU DIN rail. Not the time delay type. Do these need a normal mcb as well? If a timer is used on lighting will the normal 6A mcb need to be used in series with the timer?

Just so we don't end up with ten pages of disagreements and uncertainly, the answer to your question is yes. An MCB is required to provide overcurrent protection.

No they don't.

Are you seriously saying that you would be happy installing a lighting circuit with NO over-current protection at all?????

Are you seriously saying that I suggested any such thing. :LOL: :LOL:

Stop reading between the lines, and just read whats been written.

That's how it looked to me. The OP asked whether or not an MCB would be required before the timer, to which you replied no. This seems to suggest it would be OK to feed the timer straight from the busbar, which of course it is not. Your answer was very misleading at best, and even if the OP didn't phrase the question very well, I think we can all see what the intent was.

The MK Sentry timers used on the CU DIN rail. Not the time delay type. Do these need a normal mcb as well? If a timer is used on lighting will the normal 6A mcb need to be used in series with the timer?

Just so we don't end up with ten pages of disagreements and uncertainly, the answer to your question is yes. An MCB is required to provide overcurrent protection.

Thats a very arrogant response from someone who has'nt the nous to look at the MK tech advice. You are totally and laughably wrong, have a look at MK tech advice and then thank me for educating you again. :D

"]
No they don't.

Are you seriously saying that you would be happy installing a lighting circuit with NO over-current protection at all?????

Are you seriously saying that I suggested any such thing. :LOL: :LOL:

Stop reading between the lines, and just read whats been written.

That's how it looked to me. The OP asked whether or not an MCB would be required before the timer, to which you replied no. This seems to suggest it would be OK to feed the timer straight from the busbar, which of course it is not. Your answer was very misleading at best, and even if the OP didn't phrase the question very well, I think we can all see what the intent was.

His intent was to make someone look stupid and it worked.
:D :D

MK timers sit on the din rail there is no connection to the bus-bar.

Whats so funny is the way you and ccam have the same problem, seeing words that are'nt there and reading between the lines. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back