Mk1 Audi TT, woman's car?

Essentially the mk1 tt is a mk4 golf/skoda Octavia/Audi A3 with less practicality and more problems.

This is worth a read for what to watch out for
https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/audi/tt-coupe-and-roadster/?section=buying

As for not allowing a test drive - no test drive, no sale. There's no reason not to allow a test drive if accompanied unless there is something to hide. If you walked into an Audi main dealer and they didn't offer you a test drive in case you "thrashed" one of their cars I'm pretty sure it's the last time you'd consider buying a car from them!

Sponsored Links
I guess he's bought his car by now.... You'd never accept the refusal of a test drive from a trader but what about a private seller who says he's the only person allowed to drive? IF you have driving other cars cover, it's only third party cover

I didn't buy one. I've decided to wait till our house is finished and then buy a 3 year old Golf R.

A seriously quick motor! Had one of these in recently for squealing brakes ( vented disc rear).......no idea what the engine size was or how many BHP but one hell of an accomplished car, DSG too.
John:)

Sponsored Links
But we're not convinced on the long term reliability of DSG boxes, are we? I'm not.

It's a 300bhp 2.0 TFSI turbo.

A neighbour has a 62reg in dark Blue which is lovely.

This one was a 15 plate in red. Wondering if it is a 4x4? Certainly on the one blast I gave it, the power went down nicely - it felt as if it had limited slip.
John :)

Yes, it's a 4x4 too.

I'll be after a red, 3 door, manual without leather unless the neighbour will sell me hers.

I guess he's bought his car by now.... You'd never accept the refusal of a test drive from a trader but what about a private seller who says he's the only person allowed to drive? IF you have driving other cars cover, it's only third party cover

Either hand him the cash and say "this is for you in case I don't come back, or bend it" then go for your test drive. Sign a waiver that any speeding tickets between times X and Y are yours. If he wants to come with you on the test drive, to check you're not going to wring the nuts off it then hand it back, that's fine

Actually, I don't mind going for test drives with the current owner doing the piloting. Lets me assess how aggressively they've been shagging the clutch, gears and accelerator while they.ve had the car. Check for bad habits like holding it on the clutch at junctions, hills.. Riving the handbrake up with a rattle of the ratchet mechanism when they stop.. Do they take corners smoothly or does it seem to be a mission to yank the steering wheel back and forth outlining an imaginary 50 pence piece.. Does their accelerator foot have parkinson's? etc..

You'd think that after X years of driving pretty much everyone would have developed some easy and competent machine skills; my dreams thus shattered the first (and last) time I let a mate drive home from the pub. Accelerator had 2 positions (on/off), steering seemed to be a game of how late could he leave it to turn in, then how quickly could he get from straight to full lock, every setoff was as 3000rpm gunning of the engine and clutch dump.. Made me feel worse than the beer, for sure. Don't buy a used car from this man!

Of course, I say this but when my father in law offered me his 7 year old A4 avant for 2700 quid, I took it (despite him being decidedly more savage with his clutch than I'd expect for a guy who does 30k a year) because it was cheap as chips at that. It went in for the vwag emissions scandal update and the did a check over it; one feedback item was "clutch feel is poor" (I agree) and the offer to "diagnose" why was quoted at £1008. I figure I'll drive it til it stops working, then fix it for about half that..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back