Mobile Home (Static Caravan) 10 Year Rule Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have lived at a run down property site for over 10 years in a static caravan which was brought onto site at that time, the main property on the site has never been lived in as in need of renovation.......

I know that the static caravan should be allowed on site with no planning as its within the curtilage of the main property, providing that it is not used independently as a dwelling........

My question is that, as I have lived in the static caravan (mobile home) for over 10 years independently of the main dwelling which has had no occupation in the 10+ years, am I within my rights to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate in order to keep this static caravan as a completely independent unit of occupation?

In addition, if this being the case, I assume would allow replacement in the future of the mobile home up to the max allowed dimensions of 60' x 20'?

Appreciate your feedback,

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
At the moment, the caravan is ancillary to the main house - ie used while renovation is in progress.

This does not mean that it has or can become a permanent independent unit via the 4/10 year rule

So you can not apply for a CLD on that basis

At the moment, the caravan is ancillary to the main house - ie used while renovation is in progress.

This does not mean that it has or can become a permanent independent unit via the 4/10 year rule

So you can not apply for a CLD on that basis

Hi Woody.........

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding was that the situation as you describe would only be the case, if one of the occupants of the mobile home were actively working on the property renovation......but the renovation progress had not even started...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You would need to convince the planners that the caravan was bought onto the site solely for use as an independent accommodation and nothing at all to do with the renovation.

This would be difficult to prove/believe on balance of probabillities

just tell the truth about you living eating and sleeping in the van for over 10 yrs and go for a certificate,
sounds like the house wasnt being lived in and its in a bad way so you never know you might have 2 dwellings now, :)

just tell the truth about you living eating and sleeping in the van for over 10 yrs and go for a certificate,
sounds like the house wasn't being lived in and its in a bad way so you never know you might have 2 dwellings now, :)

It was originally tax banded right from the beginning as a separate unit from the main dwelling (good proof of existence), most mail is also addressed to us at "mobile home at -----------" rather than the property itself!

Thanks

If you have got specific evidence that the caravan was always intended to be lived in and nothing to do with the adjacent property then that would support an application for a CLD.

But tax banding (because that is where someone is living) and postage "To the Caravan" probably does not amount to much evidence that the caravan was always going to be used for a home irrespective of what went on with the main property. Both those would be normal for this situation

Have a go and post back the outcome. But once you have alerted the planners then that's it

If you have got specific evidence that the caravan was always intended to be lived in and nothing to do with the adjacent property then that would support an application for a CLD.

But tax banding (because that is where someone is living) and postage "To the Caravan" probably does not amount to much evidence that the caravan was always going to be used for a home irrespective of what went on with the main property. Both those would be normal for this situation

Have a go and post back the outcome. But once you have alerted the planners then that's it

Thanks woody....

Yes, this is it.......do you give it a go. or carry on as you are and in turn strengthen your case for the future !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back