mobile internet/wifi card

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont need a phone line, I just want unlimited broadband access. What are my options if I am trying to avoid setting up a landline?

1) Is mobile internet the same as a wifi card?
2) Is the quality/speed of a wifi card as good as normal 'wired' broadband?
3)Any recs on suppliers. In order to use a wifi card are there any other considerations? for instance, I am not in a cabled area so I dont know if this will pose a problem.

Sponsored Links
I dont need a phone line, I just want unlimited broadband access. What are my options if I am trying to avoid setting up a landline?

1) Is mobile internet the same as a wifi card?
2) Is the quality/speed of a wifi card as good as normal 'wired' broadband?
3)Any recs on suppliers. In order to use a wifi card are there any other considerations? for instance, I am not in a cabled area so I dont know if this will pose a problem.

1) No. Mobile internet is considered using your 'Mobile' for internet surfing, whether directly (on the mobile) or indirectly (using it as a modem interface). Wifi cards usually communicate to a Wif signal on a 2.4Ghz frequency. To add a further twist is a Broadband dongle... all this is doing is negating the need for a 'Mobile' interface and using the same technology and bandwidth as Mobile Internet which is most cases in slower.
2) Usually not. Wired is usually faster and reliable but don't forget, Most wireless protocols carry 100Mbs whereas Wired are 1Gbs. Your bottleneck is usually your broadband which is capped, lets say at 8Mb, equating to 1Mbs. Hopefully I've done my sums right : )
3) Satelite Broadband? I haven't looked into this much but I have heard of small villages taking on the likes of BT by the entire village contributing to the cost of the satelite connection.

All that aside, Mobile Broadband is slower and possibly cosly since I do not know of any mobile service provide yet to provide a monthly uncapped package.

Hope it helps

I have a T Mobile dongle, £15/month 3Gb. No charge for extra, but if you habitually go over they will reduce the connection speed.

I get 3.6Mbps connection when in 3G area, Vodafone do 7.2Mbps in 3G area.

Sponsored Links
Back