1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

MODBUS and central heating?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by ericmark, 23 Feb 2021 at 4:48 PM.

1. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought the MODBUS protocol was to work with SCARTA and PLC's but have seen it a few times on wall thermostats, this thermostat MODBUS.jpg
    seems to be causing the asking of questions again and again, seems called the KKMOON HC-T010-EWF and has a MODBUS and NTC sensor, in the main it seems people ignore the MODBUS and NTC sensor options. I would guess really designed for electric under floor heating I did find
    It seems people buy them as a cheap way to connect to amazon Echo etc. With 4 screw terminals I can't see why any one would ask questions on how to connect, so I assume people think it connects to boiler with MODBUS, seem to remember the Myson Ivector fan assisted radiators do connect to building management systems so they can heat and cool, and with the increased use of heat pumps there seems to be no reason not to have the same units both heat and cool, but that does not work with under floor heating so seems a bit strange that these are sold for underfloor heating.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. oceansoul

oceansoul

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some building management systems may well use MODBUS, it's not exclusively for PLC and SCADA. Many industrial instruments and actuators use it also. I can't see it taking off in the domestic environment. Perhaps other thermostats/controllers/actuators from the same manufacturer also have modbus and could be used to interconnect each other on a common two wire system.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. AdrianUK

AdrianUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    MODBUS is just a protocol running often (but not always) over RS485. There is also MODBUS-TCP which runs over ethernet.

The MODBUS protocol is quite old now but still very much alive. Many instruments & sensors are available with a MODBUS interface - its very easy to write a driver to pickup data using a RaspberryPi or even windows. Many open source libraries around to do this.

• Thanks Thanks x 2