modem not connecting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help
i have posted this question before, i have a liksys broadband router and if its unpluged it will not connect when its pluged in again,
the only way to get my connection is to put my old modem on and do connect and when connected swap the phone plugs,
the old one (sagem) used to dial before connecting to my isp and the new one just flashes a red led but no connection,
i have set it up according to the instructions but i must be missing something, just a pain any advice please.

Sponsored Links
Can you ping the router?

Does the router ever connect without using your swap trick?

Which router is it and what isp are you using?

What settings have you programmed into the router with regard to isp connection (protocol, encapsulation etc.)

What operating system?

Can you ping the router?
i don't know what you mean ?
Does the router ever connect without using your swap trick?
no
Which router is it and what isp are you using?
its a linksys wireless router and im with tiscali.

What settings have you programmed into the router with regard to isp connection (protocol, encapsulation etc.)]
as the istuctions and also what i got from the tiscali website i will look it up when i have more time and let you know (off to work at the mo)
What operating system?
windows xp

edited to correct quotes

I can probably help you, but it's important to have all the relevant details.

Linksys make lots of routers, so can you supply the model number. It sounds like you haven't programmed the router. With a modem, you enter the dial up settings into your PC (ie you see a dial up box when you want to connect). With a router, all these settings are programmed into it and there will be no dial up box on the PC.

You can find the details you need to program the router with here. As I said, if you supply the router model, i'll tell you how to set it up.

Ok, had a search and found your previous post. I am going to assume that you have not configured your router, so bear with me if we cover old ground.

I'll assume that you have connected the router to your ADSL line and also that you have connected one PC to the router using the supplied patch cable. Don't use the wireless link for the moment. I'll also assume that the router is using it's default settings.

1) On the PC, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and press ENTER. If all is well, your PC should have an IP address of 192.168.1.n, where n is a number between 2 and 254. The default gateway should be 192.168.1.1

If not as above, post your results. You may need to run the network setup wizard. Select the internet option that says something like 'always on and doesn't require a dial up connection'.

If all ok in step 1,

2) Open Internet explorer and in the address bar, type 192.168.1.1 and press Go/Enter.

You should see the routers login screen displayed. The default user name and password are admin and admin.

The basic setup screen should be next. Set encapsulation to RFC 2364 PPPoA, set VPI to 0 and VCI to 38, set multiplexing to VC. Enter your Tiscali username and password. Set dial on demand off and keep alive on.

Click save. That should be it. Restart your PC and try and connect (check router status lights). You will need to review the router security settings to make sure your wireless connection is protected.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the help
all the settings are as you have advised
the router is a linksys WAG54G
i am in the middle of a house move at the moment and my old modem is packed away so i don't want to disconnect my router at the moment just in case i cant get it back on.
i will try it at the new house as soon as i get my broadband connection back,
any other suggestions appreciated
many thanks

When you open Internet explorer, does it open a dial up connection box? If so, you need to go into tools, internet options, and select the connections tab. click the 'never dial a connection' button.

Also, make sure that Windows firewall is off.

If it still doesn't work, tell me the condition of the lights on the router.

cya after your move :D

Back