Modena 80E Boiler lock out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have this lock out light twice now, each time have to reset to enable it to work. Now getting worried as to how many days this will last, before it goes out. :oops:

The combi boiler is about 8 years old. Does anyone know what the cause might be and how much roughly to remedy the situation. :unsure:

Sponsored Links
The most common lockout on the ferrolis is because of overheat protection. Is it locking out after running for a period of time or straight away?

all problems leading to those symptoms require an rgi to diagnose and fix, cos they require accessing electrics and combustion chamber,

The most common lockout on the ferrolis is because of overheat protection. Is it locking out after running for a period of time or straight away?

Thanks for your reply. It locks out after several hours, after running.

Sponsored Links

The problem is with your heat exchanger. its not worth repairing, ferroli are bringing out a new modena which will have a 5 or 7 year guarantee with the manufacturer. i would have one of those installed when the problem gets unbearable. i wouldnt get any other ferroli cause the optimaxs and domis are terrible boilers. for now though lower the circulating temperature on the boiler itself for c/h, if its cutting out after several hours this may stop the problem for a while.

The problem is with your heat exchanger. its not worth repairing, ferroli are bringing out a new modena which will have a 5 or 7 year guarantee with the manufacturer. i would have one of those installed when the problem gets unbearable. i wouldnt get any other ferroli cause the optimaxs and domis are terrible boilers. for now though lower the circulating temperature on the boiler itself for c/h, if its cutting out after several hours this may stop the problem for a while.

Thanks Dangas for your insight.

I presume the ‘heat exchanger’ is very expensive to replace. I live in a block of flats, an ex-local authority unit. You mentioned ‘lower the circulating temp on the boiler itself for c/h’ does that I mean keep the temp low for central heating on the dial on the boiler?, which I normally do, as the rooms get enough heat.

Is this the normal life expectancy of this model, as I want to replace it, if it becomes economically unviable, to a make and model with low maintenance and reliability, for a flat use.

the heat exchangers are expensive parts and can take a good couple of hours to change. they also take ages to order in, its best done through the manufacter and ferroli are a nightmare to deal with. the life expectency of a modern combi is 8 years, this is the governments opinion.
for a flat i would recommend another combi, a viessmann or if youve been happy with the modena, a new modena he. the viessmann comes with a 5 year guarantee as standard.

the heat exchangers are expensive parts and can take a good couple of hours to change. they also take ages to order in, its best done through the manufacter and ferroli are a nightmare to deal with. the life expectency of a modern combi is 8 years, this is the governments opinion.
for a flat i would recommend another combi, a viessmann or if youve been happy with the modena, a new modena he. the viessmann comes with a 5 year guarantee as standard.

Just had a service done after 3 years gap, but after a day, the lockout lights appears and then had to turn the reset knob to make it run.

Is there anything other than the 'heat exhanger' attributed to this fault. I wondered if anything simple or least expensive might be contributing to this fault.

Just had a service done after 3 years gap, but after a day, the lockout lights appears and then had to turn the reset knob to make it run.

Is there anything other than the 'heat exhanger' attributed to this fault. I wondered if anything simple or least expensive might be contributing to this fault.

A service is NOT a repair! No one should have a service done when there is a fault present unless the engineer agrees that a service may be adequate and will do any further investigation that may be necessary.

I have no reason to suspect the heat exchanger is at fault. There are several possibilities and one is pretty cheap to deal with. Many need a gas registered engineer.

Are you sure your boiler is only eight years old? I would have thought more.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back