Modern 12 volt car radios (power source)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I have a Sony 12 volt car radio which I have wired the red and yellow feed out of the radio to positive on my cigarettes light plug and black to earth.
When I plug it into the radio and it comes on, it then gives me a message of high power received
After using it a short while some of the buttons have stopped working

Do modern cars have a regulator that the radios power source should be plugged into so it always remains 12volt
As I know I am most probably running at 13/14 volt

Thanks
AHC

Sponsored Links
I don't know for sure, but I was under the impression that the red and yellow feeds were both live inputs......one for the set and one for the set's memory - the earth being black.
Did the new set come from another vehicle, or elsewhere? I know that some VAG vehicles have a clipped 9v supply.
Certainly if your radio is specified to work on 12v I can't see the extra couple of volts being an issue - this happens with all vehicles when the engine is started.
John :)

Red is usually ignition fed 12v and yellow permanent 12v for the memory, cant see it would matter having the red permanent as well.
You could try placing a temporary switch or connector in the red line to act like the ignition switch just to test it and see if the message clears.

Sponsored Links
Is this installed in a car ? Are you the person who was trying to fit a car heater in something else? Try the radio on your car battery. If it works then your power supply is the problem.

Back