1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern engine filler caps are silly

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by DIYspanner, 18 Jan 2020.

1. DIYspanner

DIYspanner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just an opinion but it seems daft that engine designers make cam covers so low that a funnel won't sit down and you have to hold the funnel so it doesn't fall out when you pour oil into it.

I did an oil change today. I put Mannol in but I don't like the silly OEM tin cans. Their damn difficult to hold one handed whilst keeping the funnel in place so I'll stick with plastic tubs in future.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I know exactly what you mean.....the transition from pushrod to OHC / DOHC engines means a much thicker and deeper cylinder head is necessary and its often in three castings.
    I don't use a funnel - relying on the 'glug' technique straight from the bottle which is fine 99% of the time :eek:
    John :)

4. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I rarely use a funnel. You need a steady hand though and to hold the bottle sideways on so that the pourer is on either side and not on the bottom. Less chance of a glug then.

5. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I raid the recycling bin for a plastic bottle and cut the bottom off to make a disposable funnel - last one was a Tropicana orange juice - a perfect fit, practically screwed into the filler hole leaving me two hands free to pour the oil in. I'm envious of anyone who can glug it in!

• Like Like x 1
  6. DIYspanner

DIYspanner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Indeed. I visited an uncle today to oil change his Fiesta TDCI and forgot to take a funnel. I pulled a 2L lemonade bottle out of the blue bin, rinsed it, cut it in half, wiped it dry of water and used that. The oil poured in a treat.

The hardest part of the job was the oil filter. Its in a damn fiddly place on the UGJC engine. I pushed the filter into the housing then screwed the cap on. I removed parts of the air filter for easier access.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I always have great trouble finding the correct "710" grade for my car, so I let the garage do it.

710-cap.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But you're a dab hand at recycling ;)

10. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Might smoke a bit afterwards..

download.jpeg-3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In the absence of Castrol R, thats the nearest we can get to perfume :mrgreen:
    John :)
    P.S. These ads for Diesel fragrances really cut me up.....I’ve stunk of diesel for years and still get nowt :mrgreen:
    J.

• Like Like x 2
Sponsored Links