Modifications and insurance

Those people ain't worth my £25. I'll take a gamble on china plastic instead.

So this entire thread, was completely pointless?

The china rubber was proven to be carp - this is pending confirmation by my tightening the cover bolts to be sure no shop has loosened while the car was out back.

Stick a signed sticky label over every nut and bolt on the car, then you can be sure nothing has been tampered with.

Sponsored Links
Just as an aside .. when an insurance company agrees to the repair of an accident damaged vehicle the repairer is under no obligation to use new parts (except maybe for safety critical components) just to return the car to pre. accident condition.

Total rubbish.
If that was the case, oem part manufacturer would be up in arms.
A modification is something that makes the car more attractive to the thieves or changes its performance substantially.
So, using a chinese oil filter instead of a oe doesn't invalidate insurance.
Differently, a sport exhaust would.
Changing cloth interiors for leather should be reported as a modification because it's substantially different and makes the car more attractive to thieves.
However, insurance companies don't care that you've spent £1000 on leather interior, in case of theft they'll give you the market value.
Unless you declare the modification, agree on a market value and pay a higher premium.
Same for tyres: as long as you stick to the size recommended in your user manual, you don't need to do anything.
The fact that a car comes out of the factory with pirelli tyres doesn't mean that you can't use Michelin.

So this entire thread, was completely pointless?
Threads are never pointless. These start with the unknown, and end with the known. It doesn't matter how that is achieved. To minimize the risk of insurance invalidation, it would be safest making DIY work innocuous. If the insurer can get away not paying as well as to claim against you, they have the option of bolting on additional charges to increase profit. I am not saying they do it or will do it, but they have the option.

I haven't looked at insured repairs. I am fairly sure they would not use dealer parts - say the wind screen for example where they apply additional excess if you choose to go to the dealers. I suggest people look at actual insurance repairs and report back what parts were used.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't say anywhere that you must use original parts.
So, you have bad back, gets easily scared, and a blurry vision? When I say something, usually the basis for it was already established in the earlier part of the thread. I am not a believer of this say something 1000 times narrative business.

Stick a signed sticky label over every nut and bolt on the car, then you can be sure nothing has been tampered with.
Or, I can verify. I have, and no bolts were loosened. A more careful inspection showed that the china RTV and gasket were OK. The problem was to do with the dealer cover carp that was warped/bent when I crowbar'ed it open long ago. The leak was worst in the problem areas while using the china gasket compared to the dealer gasket. Outside of these areas, the china rubber was fine. I will now go order the plastic cover. Unless taken off to look for brand markings, no one will be able to tell the cover isn't OEM.

So, you have bad back, gets easily scared, and a blurry vision? When I say something, usually the basis for it was already established in the earlier part of the thread. I am not a believer of this say something 1000 times narrative business.
WTF has a joke about bad back or your scary pictures have to do with changing parts on a car?
Are you totally retarded or just a pretentious c#nt?
If your theories were correct, your insurance would be void as soon as you jacked your car by the brake disc.
W@nker.

There, I corrected that for you.
Jacking is done and dusted. All the knowledge and data were obtained. The thread has ended. So, stop talking about it. You will have to wait until early spring to hear about the 20 inch lift. I need the late spring and summer for going up scaffolds.

Last edited:
WTF has a joke about bad back or your scary pictures have to do with changing parts on a car?
Are you totally retarded or just a pretentious c#nt?
If your theories were correct, your insurance would be void as soon as you jacked your car by the brake disc.
W@nker.
I think we can do without your confrontational attitude when replying. I assume you're having a bad day, if that's not the case perhaps you should seek help.
Furthermore your use of special characters inserted into words doesn't change the implication.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back