Modifying Roof Trusses for Loft Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a new house (built 2007) and after checking out the loft for the 1st time I've found it to be a huge space which I naturally want to use as storage.

My problem is this, each truss has a cross member spanning the width of the loft inconveniently placed at about 800mm high, so before I even look into the practicalities of boarding I wanted to know if any structural type person could see a problem with the cross members being replaced with a shorter one higher up, still maintaining the original A shape just giving me more access space at joist level.

Thanks in advance

Mark.

Sponsored Links
That's a strange gangnail truss arrangement - can you post a pic?

I'll post one up when I get home - I don't know if it would be beause our roof is not just a standand pitch but also has a pitch to the front as well. So viewed from above you'd have a T shape if you get me.

Yep, understand that bit, just not the raised timber...unless I'm thinking in the wrong plane :confused:.

Sponsored Links
does sound abit strange to have an additional collar. Does it look orriginal gang nailed the same as the other parts of the truss or does it look like a later addition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back