moisture damage to ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently bought my first house and ive noticed that the ceiling in the kitchen sagged slightly in one place. The ceiling is plaster board and skimmed flat with plaster. the other day i saw that in the centre of the sag there was a wet patch about the size of a finger nail. When i touched it the plasterboard was damp and crumbly. I removed/ cut away some of the board and the joists were damp along the bottom. Looking up there appears to be no leak as the sides of the joist are bone dry.the bathroom is above the kitchen and under the bath is also bone dry Can anyone spread some light on where the moisture could be coming from and what i should do next? the plaster board is foil backed and the ceiling was put up 1 year ago i believe.

Sponsored Links
there appears to be no leak
Oh yes there is. You just haven't found it yet. The water can run along on top of plasterboard, especially if foil backed, until it finds a hole to go through.

Start by looking at the waste trap of the bath and shower.

It will be easier if you take up the bathroom floor.

As John D has said you definitely have a birds beak some where. With foil backed plasterboard it could run from one side of room to the other before finding a low spot.
Lifting floor boards in bathroom can be a pain. We would drop the ceiling if we could not find it.
oldun :(

drop the ceiling to find it as your gonna have to do this anyway as it will never be right once its got wet and a far easier and cheaper job to do than pulling up half your bathroom floor

Steve

Sponsored Links
I will drop the ceiling as Ive smashed a whole in it already trying to find the leak. a friend said that it could be coming in from an outside wall. The house has a poorly fitted conservatory without flashing, it just has damp proof course type material stuck to the wall, its not even cut in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back