Moisture resistant Caberboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new Redrow house 8 months ago and recently discovered that the inlet pipe to the WC had been leaking. The floor is Caberboard covered with plywood and Artico Vinyl tiles. The builder is replacing these when the floor has dried out and has assured me that the Board is sound. I would like reassurance that sustained damp over such a period has not weakened the board and bring problems in the future when the builder has long gone; after all these Boards are to protect the floor from weather for short periods when building The NHBC say they cannot help if the builder is attending to it.
Should I seek independent advice and if so who would be the best body to approach? I would value advice
Jenny

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking.......

If fibre type boards show signs of swelling = replace / as that means permanent loss of strenght, be beligerant about this if you see swelling, get them to provide a statement from the manufacturer that it will be OK (which I know no manufacturer will do).

No swelling = 'probably' ok.

Not even the manufacturers can tell you anything more than that without lab testing the board. This requires core samples to be taken and sent off, and that then means replacing those boards with holes in + the cost of testing = cheaper to replace for a domestic sized floor.

Thank you for your opinion I have contacted Tech Services of Norboard who manufacture the Board. Naturally they would not commit themselves without testing the board but the samples they want are 2x600m. I could probably insist on the builder removing the sections needed but if they agreed they might as well replace the whole affected area and the disruption and inconvenience this would cause is something I want to avoid only if necessary The boards show no lifting at the edges which is a hopeful sign
Jenny

Sponsored Links
Does it have a green waxy surface? That is so they can lay the floor without protection from the weather when the walls get to first floor height. it is a lot quicker than carrying boards up stairs when the roof is on. Look carefully around joints and edges as that is where the board is more likely to have been damaged by the water.

The NHBC guarantee is next to worthless unless there is a major structural error as the NHBC generally support the house builder - make sure you get issues dealt with in the first two years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back