Mold on plasterboard - can it be cleaned, or MUST it be replaced?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having our kitchen redone, and we're removing the polystyrene tiles from the ceiling.

Some of them were coming away anyway.

There are a couple of small patches of mold.

This is where we'd had a leak in the bathroom above, I believe.

The plasterboard feels/sounds solid, and doesn't look damp.

Can the mold be scraped off the surface? Might it go all the way through?

I will likely paint the ceiling of no other work bar cleaning is required.

Images with and without flash.

20231014_192244.jpg
20231014_192250.jpg

Sponsored Links
A kitchen, is the worst possible/most dangerous place to have those tiles. Regarding the mold, I would try scrubbing it off, letting it dry, then painting it at arms length away from you, with dilute bleach. Leave it to dry and see if returns after a few weeks. It might be simply due to poor air circulation, and trapped moisture, behind the tile.

A kitchen, is the worst possible/most dangerous place to have those tiles. Regarding the mold, I would try scrubbing it off, letting it dry, then painting it at arms length away from you, with dilute bleach. Leave it to dry and see if returns after a few weeks. It might be simply due to poor air circulation, and trapped moisture, behind the tile.
Definitely trapped moisture, as I said, there was a leak from the bathroom above (now fixed).

And yes, I don't particularly like these tiles, which is why I'm taking this opportunity to remove them.

Sponsored Links
If you just paint the stain left behind with emulsion it will come through again, give it a coat of gloss paint before the emulsion.

Clean with bleach, allow it to dry. Sugar soap and allow to dry, use a few coats of stain stop and then paint with emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back