Mondeo MK3 Handbrake Hell!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've trawled the internet looking at tons of posts about this but non seem to match my situation?

August this year replaced rear discs/pads and calipers as 1 had seized and damaging the disc. Before this no issue with the handbrake but after I've been back soooo many times I think I could cry!!

Went back twice and it was adjusted only to slacken off again. 3rd time they said they'd ring Ford and call back but they didn't. Went in and they said could be cables or ratchet in lever, said they'd ring back with a price and didn't but I won't be chasing for people to give me a price!!

Lost faith and took the car elsewhere for new cables, alls well for 2 days then back to same problem. Car returned and adjusted, returned again for the handbrake to be really tight but in fact not work at all!! Took it back a 3rd time and they showed me that one of the reconditioned calipers wasn't working. So back to the original garage!

They replaced both calipers no quibble and worked for a few days which in this time a bearing went. Collected Tuesday and within a day we're back up to as high as the handbrake will go. I really could cry over this.

Are the garage missing something or could it be the handbrake lever? Its a late 2005 TDCi one and so not affected by the recall. I just don't want to be throwing money at this blind because if I do get it done it'll be a genuine one with 12 months warranty so that I know it'll (hopefully) last that bit longer as with the money I've spent on this I intend to keep it for a good couple of years.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
I'm only familiar with the slightly earlier model (2003) but on that one I was aware that it was dead easy to turn the caliper pistons back in the wrong direction (Ford forums and U tube being largely incorrect, I found).
Another thing was the pad backs have pegs which must locate in the piston or the disc can lock on, and they also don't like even the slightest disc distortion.
Hoping this car doesn't have that friction type handbrake lever, favoured by Jeep? Dead loss, that one.
John :)

I've no idea which one it is, I know it wasn't affected by the nightmare recall as I've already checked this with Ford.

I have however held the brake pedal on then lifted with lever a few times up and down with the button pressed before setting in and this seems to work slightly better. Not sure if this indicates something!

I don't think I can be of further help really, but I'd pop the pads out again, checking that they are dead flat (seriously) and replace, taking great care to locate those pegs.
Do use the correct piston retractor tool - never just squeeze the piston back.
It's probably a long shot, but if the pads aren't in correctly, they could be bending with lever pressure rather than grabbing the disc.
Do let's know if you sort it!

Sponsored Links
If you spin the rear wheels when jacked up, can you stop them with the foot brake? Are the pads far away from the disks when not applied, to much clearance?

They have fitted the correct callipers presumably?

On the odd occasion, I have found that the handbrake cables have had no slack when new pads have been fitted.
I'm not saying that they should be disconnected from the calliper but the levers should be right back against their stops before automatic adjustment takes place.....i.e foot brake on, then pull the handbrake lever a few times.
The levers should still be fully back after this.

Back