this is my first post
i have a 1994 mondeoglx 1.6v
it has done 147000 miles
itis using a lot of fuel approx
£10 = 50miles is this about right what could the problem be
or is it now time to put the car out to rest
many thks

Sponsored Links
That's about 25mpg then based on £1 a litre. Not too far off really, though it may be worth checking that it's not running too rich.

25mpg is a little low, I had the same car some years ago and it was averaging 30/35mpg.

Could be a whole multitude of things. Does the car lack power at all? does it misfire? what colour is the inside of the tailpipe of the exhaust, if its black and sooty, it's a tell tale that it is overfuelling, Sadly nothing to adjust however as it is all controlled by the ECU

Problem could be down to a number of things. Faulty Engine management components or sensors, worn throttle body etc. Sadly there is no Engine management light to tell you when there is a problem.So You could spend a fortune having all sorts of tests done for what? an extra 5mpg.

I'd put "her" out to pasture now, I'm sure she doesn't owe you anything plus a 11 year old mondeo isn't cheap to MOT either

CJ

Has the car had a service recently?

If the air filter hasn't been changed for a long time then it will contribute to poor fuel consumption, as too can old oil and incorrectly (low) inflated tyres.

What kind of driving do you do? short journeys will also make fuel consumption worse.

Has it been using a lot of fuel for a long time now, or just recently?

Sponsored Links
The problem is 147.000. Just wear and tear. Could be a lot of things. Cheeper to buy another car. :)

Back