Monitor has pink pixel 1" bands a bit like tarten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Monitor has developed pink bands approx 1" wide, running full screen vertical and some blocks horizontal a bit tartenish if you will.

Whats best test to establish, if graphics card has gone or monitor has gone.

Sponsored Links
I found this via Google...

The thin red, green, or yellow/brown line you see running through your LCD monitor is a line of dead pixels. To fix this problem, you will have to get your monitor serviced or, if the monitor is new, replaced.

Easiest thing it to connect a different monitor, one that you know works ok. If that shows the same symptoms then it's your graphics card. Since there are no moving parts on a graphics card (except for maybe a fan) it's less likely that it will have failed than the monitor. Howold is the monitor? Is it CRT or LCD?

Have you fitted any new hardware into your PC case recently? You could maybe have nudged or otherwise moved or damaged the graphics card in doing so.

Also, does it show the same symptoms if you boot into safe mode (assuming you're running Windows)? If so then you can ignore any driver related issues.

Since there are no moving parts on a graphics card (except for maybe a fan) it's less likely that it will have failed than the monitor.

A monitor doesn't have any moving parts either.

If it's CRT it could be a magnet close to the screen, speakers for example causing interference. Most CRTs I know automatically degauss when switched on but it could be your model doesn't, there's usually a degauss button on the front of CRT monitors.

If it isn't CRT (which would be more likely given the banding description), what kind of connector are you using to connect this monitor? Best way to check is to use another monitor and see if that has the same issue, most likely the monitor is faulty.

Sponsored Links

I think there are... switches, etc....

Still think it's more likely to be the monitor/panel than the card, but without seeing the fault I think it's difficult to tell. Think we're agreed that it's likely to be the monitor and the easiest course of action is to try a different monitor and see if the same symptoms arise.

I think there are... switches, etc....

Still think it's more likely to be the monitor/panel than the card, but without seeing the fault I think it's difficult to tell. Think we're agreed that it's likely to be the monitor and the easiest course of action is to try a different monitor and see if the same symptoms arise.

As there are horizontal and vertical artefacts, then either an flatscreen, or a vid card fault, due to memory chip failure. A CRT screen wouldnt display that. Just flyback burnout. So either memory chip fryout in the video card, or a processor line down in a LCD. Try the screen on another PC, if fault exists, LCD is faulty, if fault cured, memory on vid card is broken.

Back