Mono Pitched roof ?!?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advise please, I've got zero experience with building / roofing etc.

January work starts on my external workshop, the building is going to be 24ft x 8ft, my brother in law is doing the block work for me, then I need to get the roof done.

I'm after a mono pitched roof, and I'm a bit unsure how it will be erected and would like something confirming if possible....

Would the block work be higher at one side and then roof structure added, or would the blocks all be stacked at the same height and then the roofer creates the slope with wooden structure ? (if that makes any sense).

Thanks in advance for advise :)

Sponsored Links
It would look better if the blockwork followed the roof line. One block higher at the front, cut the side blocks at an angle.
Frank

Build the front and back up to wall plate heights and bed and strap the plates down.

The brickie will also then build up the side walls to a rough approximation of the rafter height without going above the rafter line

The rafters can then be put on and the side walls are then cut up to the correct line - this will depend on whether you are having a timber barge board up the side (with what is called a gable ladder) or just having a mortar verge and no timber.

I think the OP was concerned about the back wall guys?

My take on it (back wall) would be that your lean-to triangle would sit on the inner block leaf and that you would build up the outer leaf of masonry up to the ridge height. You could extend the rafters over the thickness of masonry so that the roof tiles cover the outer course of masonry and use a mono ridge or....

If it is a single skin structure sheathe the rafter support uprights with ply, batten and use a weather-board finish i.e. shiplap or summat.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't think horizontal joists will be needed with just an 8' width

Thanks for all replies :)

Spoke with the roofer today and he's requested the roof is raised by 4" sloping one way.... would I get the joiner to make this raise with wood frame or builder to raise with brick on one side ?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge and stupid questions.

A 4" slope won't make it a pitch roof that can be tiled. That will be a flat roof that will need to be felted. And if it's a flat roof, the construction is different.

So which is it?

To be honest mate I'm after any tiled roof with a slight lean width ways with one gutter running along full length of building ... the roofer said it would need raising 4", I'm not sure on roof types with the exception of google images.

Any advise would be appreciated so I'm more confident with knowing what I really want.

Even with 4" lean is that still classed has flat roof ? and why couldn't it be tiled ?

and why couldn't it be tiled ?

Because rain will get under the tiles when the pitch is too low. There are ways to have tiles on shallow pitches, but your builder will need to advise you.

You also need to know what type of roof you are having because there are different roofers.

As woody has already pointed out.
Capillary action occurs when the roof is too shallow for tiles.

Plus by the time you include any overlap the tiles will pretty much be lying flat!

Have a look at some manufacturer specs. A lot now go down to 15 degrees, which won't look unsightly.

My error... After speaking with roofer today he's explained, I originally asked for a mono pitched but was worried about high, when roofer suggested the 4" slope he was talking about having a flat roof, with ply and rubber instead of tiles, makes more sense now.

What's everyone's opinion on rubber roof's ?? and how long will it last ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back