Monsoon shower pump rumming on... and on!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a third floor shower with a Monsoon N2 pump fitted, date stamped 2007.
It has never been the quietest pump, but never sounded coarse or strained, but you could always hear it.
Recently we had some work done to the central heating and a lot of pipes replaced etc.... the normal sort of upheaval.
Recently the pump seemed to light up and run on for the 3 seconds or so as it normally would in "afterun" at random intervals? I assumed this was potentially air in the pump rotors? And that the air would allow a depressurisation which the pump would correct? Meabing to attend to it it got left with busy family life etc.
This morning my wife had her shower and I could hear the pump running constantly! I unscrewed the fuse and stopped it. Then with a little googling I opened up the hot and cold taps to bleed it(potentially). the cold taps ran through, but the hot didn't. Not even slowly as the basin tap does. We have quite some head from the tank.
I've seen two small hex head bolts on each of the impeller housings, and they look very much like bleed nipples/points? Should I crack the hot side to bleed it there?
We also have pretty hard scaly water, is it possible the little filters in it are blocked up sufficiently that the low pressure won't get past the crap?
What are my options? I could really do with not forking out to replace it right now.

Edit:
I bled the screw, and got hot water under pressure out, there's no real large amount of air in it as far as I can see.
Turning off the electric and releasing the pressure at the tap... if I return to the pump and squeeze the output rubber pipe and switch on the electric... the pump fires up and runs and the pipe "pressures up". It just doesn't stop running after 3 seconds. There is what looks like a pressure switch on a pipe that runs between the input and output and has the diaphragm pressure pot on it. Could that switch have failed and not be registering the pressure and switching it off after 3 seconds?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Clean the filters and repressurise tbe small pressure vessel on top of the pump, there is a valve that you can use a car tyre pump, around 28psi or there abouts should stop the pump turning on and off.

Ok, many thanks. Is that pressure vessel what controls the "off" of the overun? It's a 2 bar pump according to the label so 28psi would be bang on for that?

Sponsored Links
Sorry typo that should read 20 psi, no guarantee it will sort your problem but worth doing anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back