more condensation problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a house which has uPVC double glazed windows, every morning I have condensation running down inside the windows. Without having to have the windows open all day (I am at work so this is not very practical) and without freezing to death when at home how can I cure the problem?. I never had this problem in my previous house. Can anyone help? :cry:

Sponsored Links
condensation is caused by lack of ventilation.

are there any vents that are covered up / painted over?

if its of any use we do leave our windows ajar, we can also lock them in this position

there is one other thing, I am wondering if the windows are at fault, (can some one give ther opinion) if the condensation is inside the house on the inner glass, that would mean the cold from outside is being transferd to the inner glass wouldn't it?

Have a good read here.
if the condensation is inside the house on the inner glass, that would mean the cold from outside is being transferd to the inner glass wouldn't it?
Yes it does, so need more background heat inside to beat the outside temperature! It can be difficult to get the balance right !

Thank you for your replies, does this mean that I need bigger radiators or has the double glazing just not been installed correctly?. This morning I awoke to a pool of water on my window ledge, this happens not just in the room I sleep in but all the rooms facing South.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. :)

Sponsored Links
How is your house ventilated?

Chimney breast? Vents on the chimney breasts? Vents in the walls?

Are you drying clothes on the radiators? Boiling water with a kettle? Using the bathroom lots?

Sealed up houses will get damp. You must ventilate the moisture somehow. Changing the windows will not solve the problem.

Thanks for all your replies, It would seem that condensation is now the least of my worries, when the Lone Ranger and Tonto decided to add an extension onto my 1890's cottage they neglected to follow any basic rules, consequently I have now discovered that the roof slates do not overhang the roof, the extension has a large crack where it ajoins the older part of the house and all the guttering slopes inwards causing the rain to seep into various parts of my granite constructed home! It would seem the perfect solution to pull the house down and start again. To add more woes there are numerous cracks in the chimney which also let in water. Kew gardens has nothing on this house. Can anyone suggest a solution to my extension problem. No sarcastic suggestions please!! This cottage is an end of terrace on Dartmoor if it's any help

Keep Smiling :)
michaela said:
Thanks for all your replies, It would seem that condensation is now the least of my worries, when the Lone Ranger and Tonto decided to add an extension onto my 1890's cottage they neglected to follow any basic rules, consequently I have now discovered that the roof slates do not overhang the roof, the extension has a large crack where it ajoins the older part of the house and all the guttering slopes inwards causing the rain to seep into various parts of my granite constructed home! It would seem the perfect solution to pull the house down and start again. To add more woes there are numerous cracks in the chimney which also let in water. Kew gardens has nothing on this house. Can anyone suggest a solution to my extension problem. No sarcastic suggestions please!! This cottage is an end of terrace on Dartmoor if it's any help.

Talking to yourself ? ;)
Condensation - there has to be moisture laden air in the house to cause this. If it is due to normal living circumstances then look here http://www.applied-energy.com/news/index.php?storyid=79&page=
Interested ? Then see my Dec 5th post here.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15433
I know that the methodology worked for a friend who had resorted to exterior paint on his internal kitchen walls.

As for the building -- you know what they say :- 'Caveat emptor' along the lines of 'Let the buyer beware' , did the Lone ranger and Tonto tie you up and force the house upon you ? The rascals !!
:eek:

masona said:
pipme,

Do you know how much it was ?

Sorry old son I do not remember !! But knowing my old mate it would not have cost an arm and a leg !!
He really was well chuffed, and they, the welsh lot, have been making the kit for years - must have been 10 yrs ago at least, when he had it fitted was called NuAire Drimaster in those days .. just found the old advert he photocopied for me ..same address in Mid-Glamorgan !!! sadly no prices !
P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back