more cracked plaster :(

you've got to feel sorry for the op here having to pay a 3rd spread to sort things out what happens if the 3rd spread is a numpty have to pay a 4th?
this man is well and truly out of pocket and he must have no confidence in the trade what so ever

Sponsored Links
I've explained the problem to the second plasterer and my friend. He will be coming back on monday to take a look with my friend and hopefully rectify it.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

you've got to feel sorry for the op here having to pay a 3rd spread to sort things out what happens if the 3rd spread is a numpty have to pay a 4th?
this man is well and truly out of pocket and he must have no confidence in the trade what so ever

I'm just chalking it down to experience right now. It's not ideal and the time wasted is the worst thing for me.

But I accept people make mistakes. The way I look at it, its what people do to rectify their mistakes which matters. If they leave me high and dry, they lose my business and that of anyone I know, and i've learned something (hopefully :)).

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread, we had several other issues which distracted me (Kitchen supplier sending wrong cutout on doors for example). Only remembered when I was searching for solutions on reducing noise through party wall, which I've only just discovered now I have neighbours (yes same wall this thread is about :().

Anyway, the boss of the second plasterer eventually sent another man in. The same one didn't come back, with the reasons becoming clear later. The new man at first insisted it wasn't a problem with the use of hardwall (I assume trying not to drop his colleague in it). But when he saw how easily it was coming of the wall, there wasn't much he could say.

He originally wanted to plasterboard over it and then skim over that. But given I'd have to take up the flooring and fllorboards and move the radiator pipes. Plus I'd be losing even more space from the room I insisted we start again.

I didn't want to risk any further issues with the wall so we went hardwall to level the wall. Followed by plasterboard to minimize the chance of cracking. Then ofcourse skim ontop. Hasn't cracked since, so atleast thats a positive.

When it came to payment, apparently it wasn't these new guys fault, so I still had to cover half of it. Not that impressed and won't be using or recommending them again.

Popped on to ask a question about something else and thought I'd confirm the wall is still ok several months later. I hope this assists anyone else that has similar problems, although would be better if no one else has to do one wall this many times :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back