more extraction needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 100mm manrose ceiling extractor in my bathroom but after a couple of the family have showered the walls etc are streaming and the room is full of steam. It just aint up to the job!! I've checked it out,and it's working but just not hard enough.
Can anyone recommend an alternative, with a lot more grunt but with the same 100mm dia. :?:

Sponsored Links
What is the duct work like? This usually has the biggest impact on a fans performance

also, look for a centrifugal fan. they are more powerful and quieter than the average cheap builders fan, even through a 100mm duct. the big brands all make them.

Not sure which Manrose you have fitted - is it the CF100? If so this extracts about 62cu m per hour which is not enough for a steamy shower room.

I had the same problem and eventually fitted an in line duct fan which gives far more extraction using the same size ducting. Also try using aluminium ducting rather than the plastic as it provides a better flow of air.

See the fans at these two locations - I have used the following and both give good results

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD250T.html

http://www.fastlec.co.uk/vortice-lineo-high-power-inline-fans-with-timer-mixed-flow-p-321.html

Sponsored Links
what would you say about noise level?

it extracts into the ceiling does it? i havent installed one into a ceiling for along time not sure if it matters but i allways go onto the outside wall (if possible) unless the customer specifically says so, i normally advise an xpilar to be used and they force alot of air and are quite and are on timers, hope this helps

I have a Vortice in-line fan fitted in the ceiling of a windowless flat. It's reasonably quiet and clears steam fast. The only thing I find - and I'd guess this will be a problem with all powerful fans - is that you need to clean fluff off the grille regularly to keep it at optimum performance.

Thanks for all the advice,----I've decided to go for an in line job.
I was planning to use the existing fan opening which is in the ceiling over the loo , but was wondering if it might be better to resite the inlet over the shower and bath with the fan in the roof space.
The existing fan is operated by the bathroom pull switch and timed,so that would stay the same.--I'm just a bit concerned about the safety side.
Does plan A sound OK?? :eek:

with an inline, the fan is not exposed to splashes from the shower, so that's a good place to put the hole. Space the motor part well away from the hole. You may need some kind of condensation trap but this will be reduced if you flop insulation over the ducting.

I've come across several cases where people complain about poor extraction (not in showers - usually commercial kitchens). They increased the power of the extractor and found no improvement. The reason was that they had not considered the inflow into the room. If you want 100 through your fan then 100 needs to be able to enter the room. If the bathroom is well heated a humidistat might be better than a timer.
HTH
V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back