More Window problems :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I had successfully navigated my window problems in the last thread, but I think this place is destined to have new windows throughout. A salesmans dream. I suppose there could be an argument for going down the new windows route. These double glazing windows were installed in 2003 and I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last.

Anyway, the upstairs window bathroom handle has never been right so I decided to swap it for a new one, in a hope that it might fix my problems, but in fact it's just made everything a lot worse. As I tightened the bottom screw there was a rather large crack. I suspect I overtightened the screw which has stripped the thread right out. Making things worse, without the torque I suspect from the bottom, I am unable to turn the handle and close the window as it is 'locked open' if you get me?

Photos from left to right, handle removed, handle reinstalled but non-operational, view of the shootbolts in the closed position and finally the piece of metal I stupidly stripped out.

212c85e3-f327-43d9-a7d6-beb12af4a3fa.jpg a51dd4d4-51eb-4153-a7b5-2e40be812d01.jpg d6d7eade-8f89-4028-946b-086be244ea5c.jpg f16a0f13-0b54-4a7b-95a3-1fbfab782b17.jpg

Is there anything I can do about this? Short term, if I can get the window shut that would buy some time. I am unable to push the shootbolts back in, it would appear and I've tried turning it using just the bar but it's completely jammed. Short of calling out an expert: I guess to replace the mech, will this be an outside job or can I safely to do it inside? Anything involving a ladder and probably climbing on my conservatory roof, If I'm honest, I don't fancy that so it'll be callout job.

Which is why I'm wondering whether refreshing all the window frames in the house, this might be the time to do it, although am I just chucking money off a bridge by doing that?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

How big is the window?
If it is relatively small, you could get someone to help, undo the screws on the hinges and manoeuvre the whole casement inside.
This would give you a chance of safely investigating the mechanism and measuring up for a replacement.
It might also enable you to remove the shootbolts for a temporary fix.

Good luck!

This might sound daft and can be difficult to explain, its been known for people to open the handle 90° to expose the screws thus the mechanism is in the open position but when they fit the new handle instead of fitting it in the same orientation i.e in the open position they fit it pointing down as if it were in the locked position, this then means the handle is out of sync with the locking mechanism and won't budge because the mechanism is already furthest travel............trust me its been known lol, I travelled 2 hours each way on a call out once at 9pm because a homeowner tried fitting his own handles then rang his insurance company saying his window is jammed open and can't leave like that over night

The threaded bit you've snapped off, how the hell did you manage that, the screws only need nipping up with a screwdriver, did you use a wheel gun, one screw will hold it for temp but it needs a new mechanism now

Hi,

How big is the window?
If it is relatively small, you could get someone to help, undo the screws on the hinges and manoeuvre the whole casement inside.
This would give you a chance of safely investigating the mechanism and measuring up for a replacement.
It might also enable you to remove the shootbolts for a temporary fix.

Good luck!
It's your typical 'normal sized' upstairs single upright window. I could probably fit out of it fairly easily. I'm curious as to whether this might be the best way to go about doing something like this, in fact, rather than climbing up a ladder. Simply leaning out the window, but equally, I don't actually know what I'm looking for. Is the mechanism held in by screws facing outwards, a bit like my downstairs horizontal conservatory window, or are they held in behind the frame itself which means they can be accessed internally?

This might sound daft and can be difficult to explain, its been known for people to open the handle 90° to expose the screws thus the mechanism is in the open position but when they fit the new handle instead of fitting it in the same orientation i.e in the open position they fit it pointing down as if it were in the locked position, this then means the handle is out of sync with the locking mechanism and won't budge because the mechanism is already furthest travel............trust me its been known lol, I travelled 2 hours each way on a call out once at 9pm because a homeowner tried fitting his own handles then rang his insurance company saying his window is jammed open and can't leave like that over night

The threaded bit you've snapped off, how the hell did you manage that, the screws only need nipping up with a screwdriver, did you use a wheel gun, one screw will hold it for temp but it needs a new mechanism now
I am fairly confident that I didn't make that mistake, but whatever the case it appears to have utterly banjo'd the mech :( My window is second floor bathroom facing out into my garden and with a conservatory/sunroom in front. It'd take a brave man to want to burgle me through that one, but equally, the draft is a pain :)

I've looked again, because I've replaced handles before and never had this. The replacement screw was longer than the original :( I think I've simply screwed too big a screw in. What a pain.

I've not called my local company to get an idea on cost yet, worth a shot so I'll do it now.

Sponsored Links
Random grinch means remove the hinge screws where they screw into the inside of the frame and then lift the whole window piece into the house through the opening where you can then attempt a repair

Random grinch means remove the hinge screws where they screw into the inside of the frame and then lift the whole window piece into the house through the opening where you can then attempt a repair
Ahh, that makes more sense. Misread the post.

Is that realistically a two man job then or something I could attempt on my own?

You can do it on your own you just need to be careful as if you drop it, it's going through your conservatory.

Id probably remove it on my own but I'd want a spare pair of hands for refitting it as it's fiddly holding it in place lined up then getting the screws started

How much would I expect to pay if I got a company out to do this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back