More wires than legs on a millipede !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Been in my new house for a couple of months and decided to replace some of the light fittings which seemed to work until recently as the circuit between two rooms keeps tripping the fuse.

1st image of the kitchen wires, pictured are 3 pairs of Red, Black and Earth and 2 pairs of Red and Earth only. 2nd image and 2nd room are 2 pairs of Red, Black and Earth.

Any help to wire these two rooms correctly without tripping the fuse everytime would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid if you didn't take a note of the wiring beforehand then you'll need a multimeter to identify what all the wires do. Chances are that one of the two core + earth cables will be a drop to the light switch. The other two are probably live/neutral/earth loop in and out and then the two single core + earth wires may be live feeds tapped off to elsewhere.

Do you have a multimeter or continuity tester? Did any of the wires have red tape or sleeving on before?

If the lights were working correctly up until recently when they started blowing fuses, it would suggest there is probabily a fault with the wiring. Could be rat chewed etc.. I would suggest meggering everyhting through if you know what to do and have the equipment, or get in a sparky to check it out, and fit up your new lights while hes there!

If the lights were working correctly up until recently when they started blowing fuses, it would suggest there is probabily a fault with the wiring.

I'm now a little unsure as to whether this was an occurrence since trying to put up new fittings or was happening before with the old ones. Can you clarify?

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure that its my 'botched' rewiring and the previous owners attempt at wiring as there were no red taped wires. I thought i'd replicated the previous wiring fine, as it lasted 2+ months no problem.

In my checking the wiring was neat and tidy I've lost track of which wire was were.

I'll get myself a multimeter and check to see if anyone has had a nibble.

To test the insulation resistance of the cables you will need an insulation resistance or Megger tester these cost around £200 ish and need to be used with care.
Id sugest calling in an Electrician to carry out a full periodic inspection and test report.
A multimeter is still a usefull tool for tracing cables using the continuity setting.

Using a multimeter i've identified 1 of the 3 RBE that has current through it. 2 of the 3 have no current.

I'm more than likely going to get a sparky in, but how would I know proceed wiring this up correctly.

the one with voltage will be the incoming supply.

One of the others will be the switch. You can identify this with a continuity test, it will come and go as you turn the switch on and off.

at least one other will be outgoing supply to the next lamp. it will have continuity with some resistance if there is a filament bulb and it is switched on, it will go open circuit if you take the bulb out.

if you have 2-way lighting it takes longer

I always recommend getting some white vinyl tape and a fine-tip permanent marker pen. then you can label all the cable sheaths and save yourself lots and lots of trouble.

Using a multimeter i've identified 1 of the 3 RBE that has current through it. 2 of the 3 have no current.

I'm more than likely going to get a sparky in, but how would I know proceed wiring this up correctly.

one of the remaining pairs(RBE) should be be the outgoing feed to the next light.

the remaining one will be the switch drop.open and close the switch and test between red and black at the light you will get a short on one cable.check this by opening the switch again as it may be,that your picking up from the next lamp on the circuit.
then reconnect one pair at a time.

you may still get a trip as you say,because of a faulty cable.do this to all the other cables on that circuit(not just that light)and the fault should show itself.

BTW,not sure i should have told you all that,fault finding can be very dangerous,so if you lack any confidence(confidence as in the ability to interpret your readings and recognise danger),dont bother,get a sparks in.
are we getting this new forum or what?

hee hee! Too slow, Daytona! :LOL:

did you see that amusing post on the secret Electrician's forum?

oops :oops: I shouldn't have said that - BAS isn't supposed to know about it

OK getting somewhere now. I have kitchen circuit all wired correctly with 2 switches.

My next hurdle are the two sets of RBE for the light and switch in the next room. Can someone tell me how to correctly wire this into the existing circuit.

Excuse the crude drawing but could someone finish it of for me ;)

Thanks,

the circuit between two rooms keeps tripping the fuse.

If the switched live has not been sleeved you may have thought it was a neutral and connected it as such.
Every time you swich the light on you will be shorting live to neutral and blowing the fuse.
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back