Morning guys and girls - vent query, quick question really.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all :D

I've got a quick query regarding a vent I hope someone can advise me with please.

Just redecorating the small room in my house and this room has an air vent on the external wall.

This vent is closed and has been painted closed so you can't open it.

Behind the vent appeared to be packed with wool wadding, or some other form of insulation.

I'd you tap this wadding/insulation down, you can see straight through outside where there msut be some for of an air brick or similar.

The room is on the 1st floor.

Questions!

Can I block this up? I was thinking to perhaps rip off the vent, pack in some loft insulation up to the air brick and then brick up the hole.

Thanks!

Jon

vent.jpg

vent2.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need to yourself why a vent is there in the first place? Do you have any gas or solid fuel burning appliances in the room?

You need to yourself why a vent is there in the first place? Do you have any gas or solid fuel burning appliances in the room?

Thanks for the swift reply.

I did ask myself this question, there are no gas fires, no coal fires, nothing in this very small box room.

There is only a radiator and a window in the room.

The only reason I can see for this being here (and its been blocked up with paint for at least 5 years) is to make the room colder than it should be!!! BRRRrrrrRR

It's a 1930's house, perhaps it was the 'in thing' for good ventilation and fresh air to be allowed in to the room?

Thanks,

Jon

They were put in to help stop condensation, apart from where there was an open flued appliance.

Sponsored Links
it was intended to give ventilation.

in the old days before central heating people were not soft namby-pambies like they are today.

The hit-and-miss vent allows you to close it when ventilation is not required.

they are particularly useful in rooms prone to condensation.

Ok thanks guys. Can I block this up. I can open the window if it starts to het humid.

Anything special I need to do?

If you're going to block it up I'd also block up the outside 'cos they make super wasp nests!

If you have a trickle vent on the window, then you don't really need it. If the room is of reasonable size then you probably won't need it. If it's a small bedroom and no trickle vents then I'd keep it.
We have a small bedroom that ends up with loads of condensation on the inside in the mornings when someone has slept in it. DG and no trickle vents :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back