Mortar mix/recipe for internal wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read that, particularly with old brick/brickwork, it's bad to use mortar that was stronger than the old stuff, as it can eventually cause the face of the brick to crack off.

Question is, what would be a good mortar mix for repointing an internal exposed brick wall? Both strength and colour would be important.

Marcos

Sponsored Links
The problem caused by a strong cement mortar really applies to external brickwork when it gets wet and then freezes, known as the freeze/thaw cycles.
For internal brickwork you don't have to worry about that, so think about what colour you want and whether the mix will leave bits of grit in your carpet.

:D

I'm guessing from your last comment you don't really approve :)

Question is, then, what's the least crumbly mortar mix...

A 4/1 sand cement mix is quite strong and will hold together well. It also depends what colour you want. You can get white cement if you want it to look a bit like lime.
How are you going to finish the joints? recessed, flush, bucket handle, struck etc.

Sponsored Links
So far as I know, struck is meant more for outside, so the rain drains off.

I think recessed is not all that suitable for old bricks, so it's down to bucket handle or flush. I expect the former, but I'll try a little section flush to see.

Thanks for the recipe :)

in my opinion the best joint for exposed original brick is to give it a very shallow rake and then brush it. Whatever you do keep it a nice dry mix though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back