Mortice& tenon depth and widths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any rules of thumb how deep a mortice hole should be. I gather the tenon should be a 1/3 of the width of the timber so on a piece of wood 42mm deep a 14mm tenon. How deep should the mortice hole be. The posts where the mortices will be cut are 70mm square and the tenon timber is 68mm x 42mm. I have a router with a 14mm bit but it's only 25mm long , I know you can pull them out of the chuck a bit but i'm still looking at a max of 35mm, can you buy longer if need be

Sponsored Links
depends on the component and what load its under
what is it??

its not nessiserilly 1/3 you just aim for the size off your mortice chisel [1/4 to virtually 1/2]

depends on the component and what load its under
what is it??

its not nessiserilly 1/3 you just aim for the size off your mortice chisel [1/4 to virtually 1/2]

It's just an airing cupboard at the top of my landing. There is some downward load from the cold water storage tank in the loft space above. that is currently supported by an accro on one side and the wall on the other hence I feel the need for a 70mm post. Just want to make it as strong as possible really.

its the post that takes the weight is it just a wall panel your tenoning

Sponsored Links
Mortice and tenon joints although usually look about a third of the thickness of the wood, are set out using the thickness of the chisel used to create the mortice. A mortice gauge (used to mark both the mortice and tenon) is set to the width of the chisel, before marking out the joints. Depth of the mortice all depends. Some mortices go right through the timber (through mortices, usually wedged as well) ;) ;)

another thought have you thought about the need to spread the load at the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back