Mortis lock, locks but wont give me back the key!! Help

Sponsored Links
but it sits at the right angle acroding to handyhands (the 5 o clock position) so doesnt that mean its not the cylinder the is at fault?

im going to try a new cylinder but im hoping it is something else because one of the screws on the door handle case is threading and i dont want to keep messing with it much.

Yep, the cylinder cam is out of position. You'll need to buy a new cylinder. Measure each side of the cylinder to ensure you get the correct size.

Sponsored Links
but if i took the picture of it sitting upside down it would have been at 5 or 7.....and the sarcasm really isnt needed i cant leave the house at the moment and im asking for genuine help.

the sarcasm really isnt needed
Sarcasm eh?

Well in that case please invert my previous advice. Instead, don't replace the faulty component, and simply carry on hoping that it's not faulty.

DSCF4398.jpg

is that not sitting right even upside down?

Do you mean it needs to sit at either 7 or 5 towards the bump part of the cylinder?

when the cylinder is in the door in what position is the key in when you can withdraw or insert the key - is it 12 oclock or some other position?

from turning it in the lock from fully anticlockwise to clockwise does it travel just slightly less than one and 3/4 turns

normally you insert at 12 oclock position and retrieve at 12 oclock position after one turn only - i am curious if it is letting you insert at 12 oclock and if you are telling me from your photo it can only go slightly less than one turn.

when in the door, it will do just under one full 360 turn, therefore i cant take the key out, yes.

It does approx 350 turn.. would this indicate a fault in the cylinder or the whole locking system?

If you want to turn your door upside down, then yes the cam will sit at 5 or 7 0'clock. But as you were holding the cylinder the correct way up in the first picture, then its at 11 o'clock.

Its knackered....broken...not working...faulty............it needs replacing. Not a lot more to say.

again, what is with the sarcastic comments..did you say it needed to be a certain way up when i took the photo? i am not a lock smith, nor have ai had any previous dealings with locks or the mechanism of locks. i wouldnt have asked for help in the first place if i was familiar with any of this, so it is not polite to torment someone because they are asking questions!!!

thank you to those who gave actual help. it really is appreciated. just have to find someone to go to the diy store for me or to watch my house now to buy a new one.

if both

a) when in the door you insert at 12 o'clock
b) it allows 1/4 turn anticlockwise only from 12 olock to hard stop and
c) as i think you said in one of your earlier posts when out of the lock is spins freely round and round - (exactly as it is meant to do)

then my suspicions would be more with the interface to the bolt mechanism that travels within the door itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back