Moss on Tarmac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over these winter months I have noticed that the amount of moss I did have on my tarmac at the front was quite minimal. Now it seems to have grown and is becoming an eyesore. I am wondering since I have some Westland Lawn Sand in the garage would this be OK to use on the tarmac or would it stain the tarmac or would something tarmac specific be better?

If something specific for moss removal on tarmac any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Yes I think some of it can be but since I have lawn sand in the garage I was wondering if I could use this to get rid of it or if it would stain it.

If a moss killer is the way to go do you have any suggestions on what to get?

Thanks

James

I can't see how sand is going to kill moss.
There's a range of products on the shelves, but I don't have any recommendations.

Sponsored Links
You could buy "lawn feed and moss killer" or find that ferrous suphate is exactly the same thing, but cheaper as it's not sold as an "icide" ;) However it might leave a rust coloured stain if you heavily use it. You could put it in a sprayer with a little bit of washing up liquid (as a detergent to break the surface tension) and this will maximise how much you get on the moss itself. A spot-attack, if you will.

Nozzle

Here is a link to the lawn sand it contains moss killer but I am unsure if I can use it on the tarmac:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westland-Horticulture-Lawn-Sand-20kg/dp/B008DC67BI

It contains Ferrous Sulphate so from what your saying is I can use it but it may leave a rust coloured stain on my tarmac? If that's the case is there a simple way of removing it or a tarmac specific moss removal product?

Thanks

James

dont use any kind of lawn moss killer on hard surfaces. They are as you discovered iron sulpahte derivatives and will leave horrible rust colour staining on your tarmac.

Use a proprietary moss kliller such as mmc pro/ patio magic etc.

Strong bleach - hypochlorite is very effective on hard surfaces at killing moss but it may change the appearance of the tarmac by physically bleaching it. I use it at home at 5: water to 1 hypo. Pre wet the surface and then spray or watering can the mix on. Agitate it with a brush (very lightly, not scrubbing) and then wash it all off after 20 mins. Be careful of runoff on plants lawns etc.

You must wash it off thouroughly due to its bleaching effect on the tarmac.

If in doubt do a test area first.

A purpose made product such as the ones mentioned previously are more fool proof if your hesitant

Brilliant thanks for the replied I think I will go with the Jeyes fluid as this seems the simplest and non harmful option to the problem. I presume it will stop regrowth as well?

Brilliant! I have picked up some of the Jeyes fluid so when the weather brightens up I will throw that down and put some on before winter I think in case anything starts to grow. Hopefully I will have a lovely drive again opposed to a moss infested one which is my current one :)

Thanks Guys :)

Guys,

A quick update on this everything is pretty much gone since its about 10 years of moss some of it is being quite stubborn but I have put a single application on today and most of it has come off and the drive looks much better. I will put some more on for the more stubborn parts tomorrow but so far its looking good!

Thanks again for the recommendation and help!

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back