Most Stolen Cars

Sounds like an 'opportunist' TWOC, not specifically targeted to either the car or yourself.

Imagine a scenario where you had a highly desirable/valuable motor & that guy had a shipping container leaving for Nth Africa next week, I'm told that £500'ish is the going rate for anything presented to the main gangs shipping them out. Imagine if that car can ONLY be started with the key.

Here is the car & you have the key. He wants/needs that key, you can either hand it over politely or what do you think might happen?

My business partner in the recovery treated himself to a very nice Audi RS, a few weeks later 2x guys bomb burst into his bedroom at 2am because he hadn't left the keys within 5 paces of his back door.

He currently drives an 04 Disco.

First off, I'd never buy a top of the range car, even if I was a lottery winner.
Second, if I was 'threatened' for my car keys they would get them no problem.
No vehicle on earth is worth more than my, or any member of my familys, life or well being.

Sponsored Links
I'll say it again. We p1ss enough £££ up against the wall in this country. Why not p1ss a few billion of our taxes into more, properly staffed, prisons and up the sentencing of these so called 'minor' offences. Crimes such as theft need to be upped in terms of how severe they're viewed by the legal system.

These scum are getting more and more brazen cause they know diddly squat is going to happen to them.

I was just about to say the same - a while ago, I had a G reg Metro and lived in a city centre location.
The local ne'er-do-wells would just bend the window frame of the front doors outwards and get inside.
The rotar arm always came with me and after a couple of years, the door could almost be bent in half! :LOL:

I saved my brother's Sierra from being stolen. I installed a second heated rear window switch which I fitted into one of the blanks on the dash wired into the LT side of coil. Scrotes tried to steal it from outside house, but it just kept turning over without starting. Fcked up the door and ignition, but lot less hassle than no car.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Reminds me a student mate used to swap a couple of plug leads. It was an ancient A40 you could open with a teaspoon handle - an early hatchback. It would fire but not go, and stink of petrol, so it got left, with a flat battery.

I've heard tales of people leaving old British bikes with the HT lead on the frame to deliver a belt. Unverified, though.

I installed a second heated rear window switch which I fitted into one of the blanks on the dash wired into the LT side of coil.
I did the same on an early Metro, fitting a switch identical to the others on the bank to the right of the dash.

They were great care to chuck about...

1670293455192.png

I did the same on an early Metro, fitting a switch identical to the others on the bank to the right of the dash.

They were great care to chuck about...

Yes it's a good idea because it's a cut out switch hidden in plain sight, and much easier to use than one hidden in the depths under the dash. Crims never realise the switch is there.

Only drove a Metro once. It had a hazardous fault. When you braked the headlights would come on. So as you were driving along and touched the brakes it made it look like you were flashing people to come out of side roads, etc in front of you - when you weren't. :eek:

Remember driving down a lane near Macc one snowy winter in my Opel Record auto.

Started skidding towards the hedgerow on the other side of the road, then I'm facing the hedgerow on the side of the road I was originally on, next I'm back where I started!

Didn't damage anything! How I managed that I'll never know...

My old man told me to fit a hidden switch on the coil or ignition, and I have done on every car.

I can't understand why it's not more commonly done.

That's what I always fitted and so simple to do. There were no sensible alarm systems for sale at the time, so in the 70's I set about to design one of my own, for my own car - I had a company car too at the time. I returned home from a days work in the company car, in pouring rain one day, to find the alarm had been sounding for hours. The rain had managed to get into the DIY alarm electronics :(

Now I'm having memories of my boyracer days!
Once had an epic race: my Metro 1.3L Clubman, against a Vauxhall Calibra - full body kit.
Taking the A39 coast road from Klive to Lynmouth - 30 miles mostly flat out, overtaking everything!
He could easily have got past me, but I think he was having too much fun staying behind and watching a flying Metro!
He backed off on the hill going down to Lynmouth - my breaks were slightly on fire at the bottom! :eek:

Used to do that to all my old cars. Then when I heard they always felt under the dash, when they got in, a police friend advised putting it down on the floor towards the rear RHS of the drivers seat. Simple to lean and flick as you reached for your seat belt.

I used a reed switch hidden behind the plastic dash and a magnet kept in the car of one car I owned. You had to know just where to place the magnet.

Remember driving down a lane near Macc one snowy winter in my Opel Record auto.

Started skidding towards the hedgerow on the other side of the road, then I'm facing the hedgerow on the side of the road I was originally on, next I'm back where I started!

I hit a patch of oil or grease on a local two lane roundabout, in my then Ventura, which was quite busy and somehow managed a complete 360 spin and managed to just carry on without hitting anything. How I got away with it, I will never know.

Sponsored Links
Back