Most Stolen Cars

How many times have I heard variations of that, it's one of many internet myths that never die.
I had a triumph herald. They actually had a button on the starter solenoid that would turn over the starter motor when pressed that you could access under the bonnet which you opened by undoing the exposed clips on the outside of the car. Other than having to short the ignition switch, they could not have been much more steal-able.

Sponsored Links
I did the same on an early Metro, fitting a switch identical to the others on the bank to the right of the dash.

They were great care to chuck about...

View attachment 288002
Okay it's probably a dose of nostalgia and middle age that makes me think this way, and yes I know they weren't as robust or safe etc, however I miss the cars of my younger days on many levels. Basic, less to go wrong, could tinker more easily yourself, and I even miss some of the creaks and groans.

Obviously we're more cossetted in our vehicles now, however to me some of the enjoyment has gone.

RAC, sadly, I didn't have that experience.

Mine was a 1979 model.

The autobox was clunky, the engine would die coming off motorways (??), the rad leaked badly, needing an emergency eggy fix and the auto choke went.

It was great when it drove, but I think it spent more time broken down.

Eventually, it died altogether.

It was an ex company car and I reckon it was a Friday afternoon car, driven hard by a rep who didn't give a shoite.

Sponsored Links
Okay it's probably a dose of nostalgia and middle age that makes me think this way, and yes I know they weren't as robust or safe etc, however I miss the cars of my younger days on many levels. Basic, less to go wrong, could tinker more easily yourself, and I even miss some of the creaks and groans.

Obviously we're more cossetted in our vehicles now, however to me some of the enjoyment has gone.
Sure!

Even I could easily do most maintenance jobs on a Metro. Oil and filters and pads, thermostat, that kind of stuff.

And the A+ series engine would go forever.

Getting nostalgic for that first gear whine...

Mine was a 1979 model.

The autobox was clunky, the engine would die coming off motorways (??), the rad leaked badly, needing an emergency eggy fix and the auto choke went.

It was an ex company car and I reckon it was a Friday afternoon car, driven hard by a rep who didn't give a shoite.

Sounds like bad luck with the Rekord, though they reckoned they were better quality as they were built in Germany whereas the very similar Carltons were Luton built. Had the Mk I for 11 years (was 11 years old when I bought it) and the Mk II for 19 years. Not too many problems with them. I always look after them and get my money's worth. Had my current van for 15 years.

Mine was a 1979 model.

My first car was a 3 door mk4 Cortina, think it had a 1.3 4 speed box. Brown in colour. It was pretty past it when I bought it tbh and on my commute to work its engine also died when coming off the motorway. I got it down to a fine art starting it again whilst still moving!

It got me back home from Bristol area to Fife, although I couldn't go above 55-60 or it would overheat! Passenger footwell became a pond whenever it rained :)

Ah the good old days ...

Sounds like bad luck with the Rekord, though they reckoned they were better quality as they were built in Germany whereas the very similar Carltons were Luton built. Had the Mk I for 11 years (was 11 years old when I bought it) and the Mk II for 19 years. Not too many problems with them. I always look after them and get my money's worth. Had my current van for 15 years.
Well, when I got rid of it, it had 72K on the clock, but was an older 5 digit clock, so it could easily have been 172K!

Quite a lot of thefts on Fiesta's are just for the headlamps/grill/bumper to facelift an older model or for parts to repair an accident damaged vehicle. I saw this on my way to work this very morning. The bloke regularly parks his works van round the corner to his house, opposite someone else's house as he doesn't want it spoiling his view out of his front window. It's a London Borough of Newham van. I bet he parks it where it can be seen in the future.

5F34D356-0F78-425B-A0A6-284227B578EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Remember driving down a lane near Macc one snowy winter in my Opel Record auto.

Started skidding towards the hedgerow on the other side of the road, then I'm facing the hedgerow on the side of the road I was originally on, next I'm back where I started!

Didn't damage anything! How I managed that I'll never know...
Had a similar experience in my MK 1 Cortina, my dog was in the back and started howling when the skid started.

Quite a lot of thefts on Fiesta's are just for the headlamps/grill/bumper to facelift an older model or for parts to repair an accident damaged vehicle. I saw this on my way to work this very morning. The bloke regularly parks his works van round the corner to his house, opposite someone else's house as he doesn't want it spoiling his view out of his front window. It's a London Borough of Newham van. I bet he parks it where it can be seen in the future.

View attachment 288363
Saw another one this morning on my way to the country park. Someone will be driving around in a facelifted or newly repaired Transit Connect by this evening. :evil: I’m surprised they left the headlamps.

IMG_1192.jpeg

View attachment 288363

Driving and taking pics - naughty.

How quick can they do that and wouldn't the alarm go off?

Saw another one this morning on my way to the country park. Someone will be driving around in a facelifted or newly repaired Transit Connect by this evening. :evil: I’m surprised they left the headlamps.

View attachment 306790
Funnily enough I was watching the BBC news tech prog last night and they were discussing the increasing demand for spare parts as folk look to keep their existing vehicles on the road for longer. And how unscrupulous retailers are basically nicking to order. The segment covered the introduction of an independent body that spare part retailers can sign up to and become an accredited member of. Each part they sell needs to have history/provenance to prove it came from a legitimate source, thus giving the consumer a degree of confidence in what they're buying.

Before the usual suspects start, I'm aware there are no doubt still ways to circumvent/cheat such checks ;)

Sponsored Links
Back