MOT Failure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

My 2001 failed the MOT because of a leak in the rubber seal as shown in the picture. I am not an expert mechanic but would like to appreciate any expert advice as I have some doubts about the garage honesty. Both seals have the same failure. The garage said that they need to replace the seals (about £120 each seal). I see a leak but is this a reasonable MOT failure?
thumbnail.jpg

Sponsored Links
Definitely a fail but you can have just the rubber boots replaced......some garages have a stretching device that allows the new boot to be fitted.
Personally I just remove the CV joint and go from there.
Avoid the split boot replacement if its offered, they are useless.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It depends on what is on offer.....he may prefer to fit a complete replacement drive shaft rather than repair the original.
Estimate 1 to 2 hours work, a repair includes cleaning and packing the CV joint with grease which is a filthy job!
His price is ok really.

Those drop links look like they are from a Golf so as long as those drive shaft allen bolts come out it shouldn't be a big job.
A good sign of the boots failing is grease splattered around the wheel arch liner.

Indeed!
Looking at the pic its obviously a diesel.....see the fuel cooler below the drivers door area? It wouldn't be the first time someone's jacked the car up on it :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back