MOT question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My rear brake light above the rear window is not working. All other brake lights work.

Also, my brake pad sensor is faulty and showing a warning light. Pads are good though

Will these result in an MOT failure?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
If the light is there, it has to work.
Re the brake pad sensor, keep an eye on the fluid level in the brake master cylinder and also the switch on the handbrake lever. This is also a fail.
John

The high level centre light is a pass and advise, if the tester cannot be certain if it is wired up and connected.

The level/pad wear indicator should be a pass and advise unless the tester can see the thickness of pads is below 1. 5mm and/or the master cylinder level is low

Brake lights

Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1971 must have 2 stop lamps, one on each side.

Vehicles first used before 1 January 1971 may be fitted with only 1 stop lamp, which can be mounted centrally or towards the offside.

Additional stop lamps, over and above the mandatory requirements, must be tested. However, if you are not sure if they are connected, you should give the benefit of the doubt.

Sponsored Links
The high level centre light is a pass and advise, if the tester cannot be certain if it is wired up and connected.
The level/pad wear indicator should be a pass and advise unless the tester can see the thickness of pads is below 1. 5mm and/or the master cylinder level is low

Correct.

I was under the impression that if the 3rd brake light was manufacturer fitted, then it had to work.....
Likewise, I understand that some dash lamps don’t cause a fail, but brake ones did.
Anyhoo, it’s good to be corrected!
John

Thanks all. Hoping the answers I like the most are correct :)

For brake pad sensor, turn wheels all to one side, cut pad cable and connect the 2 wires, light will disappear.
Not a fail though.
AFAIK, 3rd brake light must have at least 50% of bulbs in working order, otherwise it's a fail.

Had MOT done yesterday and, forgive me if I am not very good with numbers, but the limit of my diesel test is 1.30.
My "dirty" car has spat out 0.07.
I used 3 search engines and 1.30 seems to be a number a lot bigger than 0.07.
I find this strange.
Should I trust the internet?
Also, I asked my engineer friend and on top of his head he said my car is almost 95% cleaner than the limit set at factory (limit taken from chassis plate).
He's probably just making it up.
How come do I have to keep my car under a cover hoping for the emperor of Londinstan to fall?
20240214_162934.jpg

Still confused......!
If your third brake light is off, you may as well forget about it, MOT wise?
John :)
Yes.

If it works it must work to requirements

If it doesn't work, tester has to be 100% sure it is connected. He can't be sure

Sponsored Links
Back