MOT Type 1 question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've a large self build garage project going on which will be 13.5mx8m.
I'll need about 70 tonne of MOT for the base (heavy clay soil) so my engineer has advised.

The local quarry do MOT TYPE 1 (to council specification) for £21.70 per tonne. + VAT
Or the non council quality, which I was told all the local builders use at £11.40 per tonne + VAT.

Quite a saving to be had due to the quantity I need - what are the pros and cons guys?

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
With MOT type 1 you are guaranteed sulphate free hard core and an even granular consistency.

Sulphate is bad for concrete I take it?

What do most builders on here do and use?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Yes sulphate is bad for concrete but you will be using a dpm under the concrete so shouldn't be so much of an issue i'd of thought.

70 ton of hardcore sounds like a daft amount, are you working on heavy machinery or HGV's etc??

If he's spec'ed a foot of hardcore I shudder to think what the concrete spec will be...

Also you will need decent compaction equipment for that depth. A vibrating roller as a minimum.

Hi, thanks guys.
I will be using DPM so perhaps I can get away with it.

The MOT is spec'd at 750 mm deep (yeah I know). And then 200mm concrete.
Due to the soil and the hedge nearby.

The cheaper stuff - is it called 'fill' the those in the know? :D
That looks really smart, nice job.

Is the hedge made of alternate oak and Willow trees? At least you know it's never going to move again!
I was going to say you might wan't to compact it in layers to avoid needing too heavy rollers

The local quarry do MOT TYPE 1 (to council specification) for £21.70 per tonne. + VAT
Or the non council quality, which I was told all the local builders use at £11.40 per tonne + VAT.
Even if it's exactly the same stuff you'll pay more for the certification.
Normally the none-certified stuff can be prone to frost but I doubt it would have any effect.

750mm of hard core seems a bit extreme, officially infill over 600mm has to be 'designed'.

I just hope you've got somewhere free to put all that (~120+ m3) of soil!

750mm of hardcore is totally ridiculous. It will be almost impossible to compact a fill that deep without settlement in the medium term.

You should be looking at an enhanced subbase with geotextiles if its that big an issue.

Also are you sure your maths aren't a bit off? 70t of hardcore over your building size will only be around 300mm deep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back