MOT Type 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Doing a 2 storey extension project, and ordered 20 tonnes of supposedly quarried type 1 MOT hardcore for use in the foundations.

The builder says they’re scammers and it’s not what we ordered.

What do you think from the pictures? Complete newbie here.

Attachments

• 4d4eafe7-75ac-4cf5-9d96-a41e1e2e3caf.jpeg
    4d4eafe7-75ac-4cf5-9d96-a41e1e2e3caf.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 1fe8e295-d369-464d-a3e0-f757ef90af8d.jpeg
    1fe8e295-d369-464d-a3e0-f757ef90af8d.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
its a bit hard to tell, it looks a bit like type 1 but it also looks like concrete crush

if its properly graded type 1 it shouldnt have top soil in it although I believe it can have crushed concrete in it, its usually made from limestone, basalt, gritstone and granite

Ive not seen concrete in type 1 from a builders merchant -its usually limestone

When it tips out it can 'settle' so looks different. Compact it and see, if its solid is it a problem? It's not the finished surface.......

It's a bit rough but looks ok. Difficult to tell the size but Type 1 can be up to 63mm down to dust in size and still comply with clause SHW803. You could ask for the grading certificate from the supplier for piece of mind. The soily appearance will be cause by crushed mortar dust which always looks soily.

Sponsored Links
Definitely not primary type 1 I.e. virgin Stone. Looks more recycled . What does the delivery or supply ticket say

Hi All,

Doing a 2 storey extension project, and ordered 20 tonnes of supposedly quarried type 1 MOT hardcore for use in the foundations.

The builder says they’re scammers and it’s not what we ordered.

What do you think from the pictures? Complete newbie here.
Looks like mucky rubbish to me. Ours is clean but dusted with lime deposits....

I don’t think he gave anything like a ticket or certificate. I wasn’t at home to check.

There seems to be lots of bits of what look like tile all throughout.

Is it bad enough that we should take it out and start again?

I don’t think he gave anything like a ticket or certificate. I wasn’t at home to check.

There seems to be lots of bits of what look like tile all throughout.

Is it bad enough that we should take it out and start again?
It should be OK. Looks like recycled stuff.

It's recycled Type 1. Those materials are all acceptable provided the supplier has had the materials tested. If it hasn't been tested it is Type 1 Graded Hardcore and not certified Type 1. If you have been sold the product as Type 1 Primary, it is not. If you have been sold it as Type 1 Recycled, you need to call the supplier and ask for the certifications. If it doesn't have any, it is Type 1 Graded Hardcore and doesn't comply with the Specification For Highway Works (Clause 803). However, looking at the pictures it looks like it will go down well even before you have whackered/rolled it.

It's recycled Type 1. Those materials are all acceptable provided the supplier has had the materials tested. If it hasn't been tested it is Type 1 Graded Hardcore and not certified Type 1. If you have been sold the product as Type 1 Primary, it is not. If you have been sold it as Type 1 Recycled, you need to call the supplier and ask for the certifications. If it doesn't have any, it is Type 1 Graded Hardcore and doesn't comply with the Specification For Highway Works (Clause 803). However, looking at the pictures it looks like it will go down well even before you have whackered/rolled it.
Thanks.

We ordered quarried type 1 MOT and specified it had to be quarried not recycled. This is what we got.

No certification or other documentation provided.

The guy was adamant afterwards that it is quarried and was quite aggressive about it.

Am the homeowner not a builder, so my concern is making sure the structure is sound and would rather dig it out and start again if there’s going to be an issue.

Ignoring the fact we have been conned and lied to

The certificates wouldn't be supplied with the delivery but should be available on request. It is a shame you have spread it, as the supplier will argue that this is your acceptance of the material. The supplier will be very reluctant to remove the material if it has been moved from the original heap that was tipped. I'm pretty sure it will go down tightly looking at the photos though. However, at the very least I would push for a discount from the supplier.

The certificates wouldn't be supplied with the delivery but should be available on request. It is a shame you have spread it, as the supplier will argue that this is your acceptance of the material. The supplier will be very reluctant to remove the material if it has been moved from the original heap that was tipped. I'm pretty sure it will go down tightly looking at the photos though. However, at the very least I would push for a discount from the supplier.
This is how I would expect a transaction to go with rights after sale etc.

The guys response was don’t buy any more from me then. I don’t think we’ll get anywhere with him.

We either replace it from a more reputable firm and eat the cost of removal, or we go with what we have.

Its not what was ordered, just cos its been spread out doesn't mean its acceptable. I ordered some top soil once and it was delivered and I barrowed round to the back garden and filled my rockery area, decided after I had done that it wasn't topsoil as such as had bits of glass in it etc, after having conversation with trading standards people barrowed it all back to the front and got supplier to collect and deliver proper topsoil which he fortunately did with no hassle. Talk to your trading standards people and possibly bluff the supplier that you are going to take him to small claims court to recover your costs for its collection/removal . You decided on the need for MOT 1 for your project so I can understand why you don't know want to have an inferior build and use the carp you have been given. Of course I was much younger back in the day and was up for a fight these days I may well not want the hassle and in your case time looks an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back