Motherboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise if this has been covered previously, but my other desktop computer (Packard Bell, about 3 years old) is causing me some grief - it only boots up intermittently with no apparent pattern; and when it does eventually boot up and let me in, after anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes just shuts itself down. It then needs to 'rest' before it will boot up again - this can be anywhere between 24 hours and a week.
I had a guy look at it and, after much head scratching, decided it must be the motherboard.
My question, therefore, is whether this explanation sounds plausible; and also whether a replacement motherboard can be sourced (perhaps secondhand via ebay??) and fitted cost effectively. Naturally, a computer of this vintage is not worth much and I am loath to spend a great deal of cash on it. Having said that, I am equally loath to throw it in the skip.
Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations??

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
These sort of intermittent problems are always hard to resolve unless you see the machine.

It could be software (drivers, spyware, virus, bad software), or hardware (faulty processor/board, hard drive, psu).

You could always try a complete operating system re-install to see if a fresh copy revives it, before spending cash.

We get quite a few Packard machines and have some working spares. Have a look on the motherboard for some numbers that will identify it and i'll see what we have here. Alternatively, let me have the model number.

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
Back