motorised valve location

Sponsored Links
i've already explained in two posts now - the hot water works but the heating doesn't. Had the plumber out, he cheked the programmer/clock, looked at the pump and concluded that the heating mv is the problem, we just can't locate where it is. It was decided it was best if I looked for it rather than them go and lift all the carpets.

basically the MV could be anywhere after the pump but before the first radiator T off. So the answer to your question is anywhere between these 2 points in your house!

Best get looking! :)

Sam

Sponsored Links
Hi spec if only following the wire was that easy,, the guy said he had two pipes not 4 from boiler which in most cases rules out gravity HW pumped heating which is why i asked.

The flow pipe comes off your boiler and heads to the pump. From here it will split 2 ways. One to the HW tank MV and the other to the HTG MV. After this it will T or 'branch' off to differant radiators though out your house. Try and trace the main pipe run's through the house. It will more than likely be on a 22mm pipe (the same size as i'm guessing you'll see at the back of the boiler. The smaller pipes you may spot around your house may be the 'branches' off the main run so follow them back if you can.

Hope that makes sense, Sam

hi Sam, sorry to bother you again, when you say to follow the pipes, do you mean to lift all the floor boards? Its chipboard, nailed down flooring. Been looking in the hatches but there is no sign of the actual pipe network :s The pipes lead from the pump to the utility, but in the hatch in the utility there is no sign of them..

Depending on if they were stupid enough to put it under nailed down chipboard or not!

Are you sure you don't have a motorised valve in the airing cupboard with 3 connections to it?

If so then this will do both heating and hot water?

Sam

oh its very possible they were stupid enough to do that! Its def. two connections in the airing cupboard :s

Odd thoughts:
you should be able to tell from the junction box whether there's an MV somewhere, or not.
Compare with the standard S plan diagram
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/Catalogue/Sundial Plans/3.2 S Plan.pdf

Most electricians and some plumbers will have a wire tracer. You isolate the wire you want to find, and connect the transmitter to it. The receiver makes a warbling sound which is louder when you're close. Found loads of things with one of those.

Holesaw and dentist's mirror:
Use a holesaw about 50mm diameter through your chipper floor. Keep the disc it cuts out. Drop a light though on a flex and use the mirror to have a look around. Push a piece of 50 x 25mm wood down the hole, pull it back up under and drill through into it each side. Replace the disc, use the drill hole for centre scew.

More questions Im afraid, so far this is the only thing I have found -

cylinder about 2-2.5 inches in diameter, and about 5 inches tall. Under the floor boards, on cement base, beside a junction of pipes, with a black cable coming out of it

Is this likely to be the MV?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back