Motorised Valve Stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The motorised valve for my centrsl heating does not work. The little lever is loose, no resistance at all when moving it (ie its jammed open so the central heating will not turn off).

See picture of the inside of the valve. The lever does not engage the brass part at all. Also that brass part is jammed up against the grey plastic bit. On the other (working) valve I can see the lever moves the brass part to and fro.

Do you think its un-jammable? Not sure which bit to try turning or if the valve can be dismantled any further. If not, is if just the syncron that needs replacing in cases like this?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170325_121050.jpg
    20170325_121050.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,846
Sponsored Links
Easier to just change the whole head, what make of valve is it ?

Just change the synchron motor, easily done and under £20 for a motor, make sure you isolate the electric supply as there is a permanent live in there

Sponsored Links
From the ops first post it sounds like the gear mechanism has jammed so little point changing the sychron motor.

I removed the sychron and cogs sprang back into place. I have put it back on and the lever is now engaging the cogs normally. Although it does occasionally skip. I think the teeth of the cog on the sycron are worn.

Very easy to remove the motor and see if its output shaft can be turned or is jammed.

But it can also be the shaft on the valve itself jammed.

Like everything it needs further investigation.

Easiest to take head off first and see if the valve shaft moves.

If so then open the head over a bowl as the motor screw is very tiny and easily lost!

It's working now thanks. The motor is fine. If you look in the original photo you can see that the brass arm has moved way down below its normal movement range. It shouldnt be anywhere near that grey plastic bit that it was pressing up against. So what's happened is that over time the teeth have become worn and keep slipping. So eventually that brass arm has reached a point of no return. Probably the exact same thing is going to happen again so I think I'll replace the whole unit.

You can buy replacement heads.

I usually get the rather cheaper non Honeywell ones as sold by Toolstation etc. and have had no problems with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back