Motorised Vavle and low voltage to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a strange situation with my central heating.

I have an S plan system that has worked well for many years. Had new boiler installed about 14 months ago, Glow Worm with options board.

Last week the boiler failed to light, but could hear the valves operating. My plumber did some prelim checks and decided that the boiler was at fault as there appeared to be no signal from the boiler to turn pump on etc.

Boiler engineer arrived and after his checks decided options board was faulty but had to wait a day for replacement. Replacement duely fitted, but boilder still wouldn't light. After further checks he tested the power connections coming into the multiblock under the boilder, 5 wires I think, anyway, a grey wire that comes from the wiring box (The box that brings the valves, boiler, pump etc together) was connected to this multiy block but for some reason was only measuring 115 volts.

He thought then that the fault was with the motorised valve. He removed this offending wire and bridged the connection to get the boiler to fire. Obviously I don't have full control of the boiler at the moment, so I am operating it manually. I have the CH valve held open at the moment so I get heat.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why I should be getting this low voltage feed, and can the motorised valve be at fault. Would replacing the syncro motor in the valve help, although I can still hear the valve motor opening and closing.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its an S plan and not a Y plan (one motorised valve)?

If its a y plan then the valve often leaks a voltage (around 100v), so maybe the microswitch is faulty stopping the voltage (230v) from reaching the boiler.

Hmmm.

Can you check the orange wire from the two ports for voltage?
Firstly I'd probably check the programmer is switching correctly, seems strange for both hw and ch to stop working like this.

Sponsored Links
The valve micro switch looks favourite.

You can often pick up about 100 volts on cables that are not live but laying alongside a live cable. This can be caused by inductance (the cables being wound together) or the electrostatic capacitive effect of one live cable laying next to another conductor. To convince yourself, try connectting a 230volt lamp across thsi 115 volt supply. If I am correct, then the light will not even glow and the voltage will drop to zero. If not then you definately have a problem!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back