Motorways

Now if they took every 3rd man standing by a hole in the road looking at it rather than working on it. Moved then to the motorways equidistant. Then there would be no congestion after accidents!!!

Sponsored Links
Stay on topic!!

I've thought for a long time now that all motorways should be upgraded to three sets of three lanes (with associated hardshoulders of course), so that in the event of an accident then a variation of Imamartian's suggestion could apply, and that workmen could be doing their thing on one set of lanes to their hearts ferking content while the rest of us can drive on the other two sets without these endless delays :) :LOL:

thanks for your support.. and the idea is super sound apart from the cost....

And the amount of extra land that you would be putting under concrete.

Sponsored Links
Canta... your demeanour seems to have changed... are you supping the gods elixir? you've gone from happy-go-lucky to quite surly !!!

Conversing with an idiot tends to have that effect on some people.

As before, there is no "quick fix" for accidents on a motorway. The variations on what can happen are too vast for a set in stone response.
I know lads on the repair teams and they have to do massive amounts of training on different scenario`s.
An instant armco variation would not work and possibly cost more lives than intended to save.

I think the main reason for build up on motorways is traffic travelling too fast. If there was a slower speed restriction of 55mph there would be fewer accidents, so no jams. So, no need to change anything.

I think the main reason for build up on motorways is traffic travelling too fast. If there was a slower speed restriction of 55mph there would be fewer accidents, so no jams. So, no need to change anything.
Nah, rubberneckers.

Also drivers being inconsiderate and not looking too far ahead.

Rubberneckers. They even slow down/stop to look at cars pulled up on hard shoulder now.

Inconsiderates. refusing to filter in traffic. And my big hate. Ignoring the lane reduction filters and ploughing down the outside to cut in at the last minute - thus causing traffic to stop to avoid a collision.

Dunno, have you ever driven a long distance in one of those 50mph average speed check zones? I have to go up the M1 every once in a while and last few times it was 50 from just north of Luton all the way past Milton Keynes. All the traffic bunches and if you're in the middle or outside lane it can be very hard to find a gap and pull into the inside lane to take an exit.

I think one of the problems is called 'Brake shockwave' or something like that. Basically someone taps their brakes, the person behind brakes a bit harder, and the person behind him etc etc and ten minutes and two miles later you're at a standstill for no apparent reason.
It could be cured with drivers leaving a bigger (or even the recommended) gap between their cars and paying attention to what's going on ahead of them. When the person in front brakes, you engine brake into the safety gap before applying your own brakes.

Another long shot woulf be to significantly improve public transport and price it so that it isn't significantly different in price.

Approx £70 fuel will easily get 4 of us door to door Manchester to London and back , add on tax, insurance, wear and tear etc then the whole thing comes to less than £100.

Same trip on the train will be significantly more than this (a quick search to go anytome tomorrow on an open off peak return yields £245) and that's excluding tram/bus/tube each end.

If the prices were comparable, we'd happily pay a bit more, but not over twice the price. Nor do we want to be fixed to a train three weeks on sunday at 11.07 with non-refundable tickets.

Another long shot woulf be to significantly improve public transport and price it so that it isn't significantly different in price.

Don't tell me about it. Several years ago I had occasion to catch the bus into work instead of going by car. Apart from the (single) fare costing what it would have cost me to go in and out by car I was told that I couldn't have a return ticket before 9:30am thus doubling the cost. I'd happily catch the train to work if it wasn't for the bus journeys at each end which would put up the cost by something like a gallon of petrol (and no return tickets).

One very annoying problem is when an HGV overtakes another HGV but is only travelling about 0.5 mph faster than the one its overtaking. A lorry driver once told me that this practice was done on purpose in protest of the 60mph speed restriction.

I'm sure that most accidents could be cleared within the hour rather than closing the road off for the whole day.

In America I saw a system over a bridge which consisited of central barriers that moved left and right to create an extra lane in one or the other direction depending on the time of day. I'm assuming that it was moved mechanically as it went on for about a mile.

In America I saw a system over a bridge which consisited of central barriers that moved left and right to create an extra lane in one or the other direction depending on the time of day. I'm assuming that it was moved mechanically as it went on for about a mile.
There's a flyover in Chelmsford that is open in one direction for the morning rush hour and the other for the evening.
Problem with doing tidal flow on a large scale is the need for a central crash barrier or reservation. I'm guessing the bridge in America you saw that on didnt have a 70mph limit in either direction?

I'm sure that most accidents could be cleared within the hour rather than closing the road off for the whole day.

Yep - no need to cock about measuring this and that for hours on end - does "accident investigation" achieve much anyway? (other than keeping a few peeps in jobs?)

I do listen to quite a bit of radio in the night (insomnia), and regularly hear of accidents at 0145 or so, which are still on the traffic news at 0730, "to be cleared after the rush hour". So instead of clearing them before the rush hour (at 4 in the morning), they're left to feck up everyone's journey during!

Sponsored Links
Back