Joining the motorway (259)

Sponsored Links
That makes 2 of us then, as I too have used it to report dangerous/foolish driving by others who were putting other people in danger.
My last one was about 3 weeks ago when it picked up a guy turning right in front of me.

I was waiting at a temporary traffic lights for them to turn gen in my favour, but because the lights were on the opposite corner of a road junction leading to a primary school and an ambulance station, I had stopped short to keep the junction clear. A number of cars were able to turn into the road enabling the road they were leaving to flow freely. The third car to make the turn was a guy in an estate car, practically hanging on to the tow bar in front because he was so close. Standing at the corner on my side of the road were a couple of mums with young children, (aged about 5-7 but thankfully quietly waiting with their mums/dads), who were waiting for the road to clear so they could cross. The guy in the estate car was using his left hand to swing the steering wheel round because his right hand was holding his phone to his ear and clearly having an animated conversation or maybe even an argument with someone on the other end.

Thankfully no one was injured by his actions but, do you really think I shouldn't have bothered?
If I hadn't, and at a later date I read in the news that someone had been hurt/killed by someone who fitted his description/car make, how do you think I might feel? At least by him getting a visit from the police it may have made him realise what an idiot he had been and hopefully made him think twice about doing it again. Hopefully he got more than just a 'friendly chat'.
If I had to report all drivers on the phone I catch on my dashcam, red light jumpers and downright mad bast@rds, I wouldn't have time to drive.
You're not the police.
They're supposed to have enough resources to protect the public.
By "helping" them, you're helping politicians cut their numbers even more.
So when you see a bunch of blokes raping a child and you call the police, they won't be able to attend until next day.
Well done!
No such thing, Audi boy :LOL:
There we go.
Are you taking Winston's place in the forum, using "correct" terminology in chit chats?

I join the M1 every day and have done for years to commute to work. The junction I join has a nice, downward-sloping slip road which gives me ample time to build up speed to match that of the carriageway I am joining. I do not expect vehicles to move over as it's my responsibility to give them priority and join safely.

This morning I was travelling own the slip road at 62 m.p.h. and there was a very congested lane one. There was what I perceived to be a safe gap in front of a HGV, so I built up speed to overtake moving vehicles and join. There were no visible safe gaps in my mirror behind the gap I took and with traffic to my rear, it would not be safe to slow down and wait for a gap.

As I joined, the last vehicle I had passed on the slip road (a HGV) made absolutely no effort to drop off the throttle and was a gnat's whisker from my rear bumper with his main beam on full. I didn't react and continued at a speed matching that of the traffic I had joined. He then swerved out into lane 2 (not sure why) and after 15 seconds, swerved back into lane 1 and left his main beam on for another 20 or so seconds. We continued to travel in lane 1 with safe gaps now between each vehicle. I left at the next junction.

I'm not sure what else I could have done. I couldn't have carried on the slip road any further as it became a hard shoulder. He wouldn't know it of course, but I am very courteous to HGVs and try to anticipate moves they may need to make up ahead (moving out to overtake when coming up to an incline, creating gaps to let them move back into lane 1, etc.). I'm confident I am a good driver.

What would you have done?
The tailgater was pizzed you didn’t go faster and pullover further ahead to let him in behind you easily.

Sponsored Links
Thankfully no one was injured by his actions but, do you really think I shouldn't have bothered?
If I hadn't, and at a later date I read in the news that someone had been hurt/killed by someone who fitted his description/car make, how do you think I might feel? At least by him getting a visit from the police it may have made him realise what an idiot he had been and hopefully made him think twice about doing it again. Hopefully he got more than just a 'friendly chat'.

Is the correct attitude. I don't use my cams to report minor infringements and simple mistakes, because who among us do not make those?

However, obvious and deliberate dangerous driving if my camera catches it, then it will be reported.

Last edited:
Is the correct attitude. I don't use my cams to report minor infringements and simple mistakes, because among us to not make those?

However, obvious and deliberate dangerous driving if my camera catches it, then it will be reported.
As said, you're contributing to defunding the police.
One day you're gonna need them for something serious and there won't be anyone to attend because the public is expected to do their job.
There was a debate a few years ago about landlords being punished if their tenants were illegal immigrants.
Don't know how that pan out, but how would I know if a passport, visa or EU ID card is fake?
Why would I be doing immigration work?
That's not my job and I don't get paid for it.
Supermarkets: they're cutting on their staff and make customers do their own checkout.
I insist on going to the manned till because I don't get paid to be a cashier.
One day there won't be anyone at the tills, supermarkets will cash in more profit and customers will be at a loss.
By doing someone else's job, you're damaging their profession as well as yourself.
I have a dashcam, but I would only use it if there's an accident or something serious being committed (robbery, assault, etc.)

What's wrong with being out of the way of other cars and not becoming an inconvenience?

There will always be another car; 'tis the nature of our road network.

You're not "out of the way of other cars" though, by your own admission - "I pulled up behind them, flashed my lights, then undertook them"........

And rinse and repeat.

You admit that your progress trumps all others, and will do the above i.e. deliberately close up on other cars, to achieve your progress.

Your postings just reinforce the view of Audit drivers among others.

If I had to report all drivers on the phone I catch on my dashcam, red light jumpers and downright mad bast@rds, I wouldn't have time to drive.
You're not the police.
They're supposed to have enough resources to protect the public.
By "helping" them, you're helping politicians cut their numbers even more.
So when you see a bunch of blokes raping a child and you call the police, they won't be able to attend until next day.
Well done!
Johnny, you often post sensible replies but, this time I think you must have been tired. ;)

I didn't get that analogy, either!

Since the advent of a police force, good citizens have reported crimes and suspicious/dangerous activities.

Since the advent of a police force, good citizens have reported crimes and suspicious/dangerous activities.

They really almost exclusively on the public reporting crimes, without the public reporting crime, the police force would need to be astronomically large and impossible to fund. The police then filter the reports, to prioritise them.

The problem with using terminology like "fast" and "slow" WRT lanes is the mindset it creates.

I have been on the motorway as a passenger with many drivers of various ages. One thought it was OK to do 40mph as long as they only used the "slow" lane.

Another told me that they never used the "fast" lane because they never did a minimum of 80mph.

No wonder m-ways are f'd up if a lot of drivers think like that.

It would account for the fact that many drivers use the middle lane(s) far more than they should.

Regarding driving standards, I passed my test in 1985 and immediately started driving commercial vehicles, from large panel vans up to 7.5t. I found other professional drivers drove to a good and considerate standard. We all used to clear the first lane when approaching a slip on a m-way or DC.
We also used to pull in to lay-bys where possible to let built-up traffic past.

Some lorry drivers would flash the left indicator when on a single carriageway to indicate the road being clear. I didn't like to do this, nor flash my headlights for fear of it being misconstrued as being safe to pull out. There are accidents on dash cam videos on YT where somebody flashes another driver, they assume it's safe to pull out and they then have a collision.

I do feel professional driving standards (taxis, PSV and commercial vehicles) have dropped since I started driving.

There was a debate a few years ago about landlords being punished if their tenants were illegal immigrants.
Don't know how that pan out, but how would I know if a passport, visa or EU ID card is fake?
Why would I be doing immigration work?
That's not my job and I don't get paid for it.

Exactly. Woe betide any unfortunate landlord who innocently houses an illegal migrant or hard pressed lorry driver who finds one p!ss!ng and sh!tt!ng on his load of fresh fruit and veg. They will fall foul of the law. The laws made by the same people who promise to lower immigration while it actually goes up by a large margin. The same people who are incapable of stopping former goat herders and rug salesmen from sneaking in on a dinghy. Couldn't make it up!

Sponsored Links
Back